340 misfire

-
I checked the oil a few times and didn't see any shavings. Even the break in oil didn't have many shavings if any. I pulled the valve covers and they all moved the exact same distance.

So, will a compression test show me if I have a manifold vacuum leak? If not, is there a way I can check? Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I'm 16 and this is the first manifold I've put on, and I've never really used a tester.

I spray carb cleaner along edges, if you have a vac leak rpm will increase

I think some guys use water, probably safer.

A compression test wont help with vacuum leak but will tell you if you have bad valve, valve hanging open or weak cylinder from something else. To check for vacuum leak let car warm up, let it idle and spray carb cleaner or water around the carb base and intake where it seals to heads and block, if your idle speed changes noticeably you have a leak some where. Compression test take out all 8 spark plugs and test each cylinder with throttle wide open.

Alright guys, thanks for the help! When I get the chance, I will get a compression tester, and then check the Carb and intake gaskets.

-
Back