340 valve cover clearance

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a 340 with Elderbrock heads, RPM air gap intake with mopar performance valve covers.
The valve covers have been cut out at intake runners. I believe the covers may be warped .
Looking for tall valve covers . Any one have this problem and how did you fix it Thanks

That's a pretty common problem you have some pics of what you're dealing with. High-rise manifold sweep up in the runner areas and come in contact with valve covers sometimes and some grinding is needed so that the valve cover will sit down tightly and seal. I have also double gasket that area to solve the problem. For a little more money you can buy some thicker steel reinforced valve cover gaskets by moroso and that usually solves the problem but they run about 60 bucks. I just put a set of them on my 340 with my rocker arm change and I love them.

I have Eddie heads and the taller Mr Gasket fabb'ed valve covers with the thick blue Moroso gasket (you can see it in the pic). But I still had to grind a bit to clear the Super Victor intake on my 408. And I had a little bothersome leak on the left rear cover that I ended up putting some RTV on to finally stop the leak.
20201108_224128.jpg

That's a pretty common problem you have some pics of what you're dealing with. High-rise manifold sweep up in the runner areas and come in contact with valve covers sometimes and some grinding is needed so that the valve cover will sit down tightly and seal. I have also double gasket that area to solve the problem. For a little more money you can buy some thicker steel reinforced valve cover gaskets by moroso and that usually solves the problem but they run about 60 bucks. I just put a set of them on my 340 with my rocker arm change and I love them.
How tall are your valve cover

I have stock 340 heads, Air Gap, and cast aluminum Mopar Performance Valve Covers, I had to notch my valve covers a bit.

I went and measured for you. Straight edge on top of valve cover - tape measure from there to sealing surface on head. Best I can measure is 3-1/4". Hope this helps!!
What valve covers are you running? That is what mine measures . The mopar performance i have on engine are warped and cant buy them any where

Thanks for every ones help . I found a company out of California .
There web site is ansenvalvecovers.com. They told me the covers they sell
for 340 mopar is exactly the same dimensions as the performance plus
covers with out the logos.

there is a ebay seller that is selling the polished and black mp covers for 295. they are supposed to be discontinued but he is selling the crap out of them seems to be a endless supply. i like the look no name ansens better. theres a guy on another site selling dirty broken black ones for 450, WTF is wrong with people

-
Back