340 vs 383

-
Are there any 383 blocks still in existence. Lol. A nicely built small block will knock that 383 back into the last century.

Are there any 383 blocks still in existence. Lol. A nicely built small block will knock that 383 back into the last century.
I’m playing with one, aluminum everything, and I’m excited to see how it runs.

What’s the SBM advantage? If you do everything to a big block that you do the small block, how does it win out? Genuine question, and you know I respect the hell out of you and your opinion.

Stroke the 340 then put a 318 pie tin on the air cleaner......enjoy.

I’m playing with one, aluminum everything, and I’m excited to see how it runs.

What’s the SBM advantage? If you do everything to a big block that you do the small block, how does it win out? Genuine question, and you know I respect the hell out of you and your opinion.

A 383 is like a 318 to me. If someone offered one to me for free I wouldn’t take it, and haven’t taken it. I’m not from you gotta build a stroker crowd but I am going to grab available cubic inches when I can. If my class was still running 1/4 mile I would be running my keith black block but it’s based off the RB block size. Small blocks are so much easier to work around especially in an A body. And especially by yourself.

get the quarter out a 416/340 or a 505/440 no reason at this point to deal with a 383/400 .. oh might as weii grab the qa1 k frame for sale in this forum:lol:

I'm on the fence myself. I have a running 340 in my Dart and a virgin 340 block but I've been thinking about a stroked 440. 600 hp with 10.5/1 compression in a big block, very tempting

Well it looks like this thread revival has gone full circle.

I have a 340 and wanted to go to a 408. We pulled the 340, installed the 408 and had major problems with it (this was about 10 years ago). It was a Blueprint Engine before Johnny Mac was there. Broke it in and it ran like crap, my 340 went back in. Luckily I got a full refund after Blueprint inspected it and found that they had screwed up. However I lost shop labour and associated costs for that fiasco! Nice to see that Johnny Mac fixed the quality and other problems there though.

Anyways my choice.. small block stroker for me that I almost had.

Last edited:
You guys gotta remember that I haven’t had a street car since the early 1980’s. And even then we street raced 5-6 days a week and raced two days at the track. So like posted above if you have a 68 barracuda that had a 383 in it that’s the smart move. The days of 14 second small and big blocks are long gone, if you want them to be. Lots of good aftermarket support for the Mopar guys.

You guys gotta remember that I haven’t had a street car since the early 1980’s. And even then we street raced 5-6 days a week and raced two days at the track. So like posted above if you have a 68 barracuda that had a 383 in it that’s the smart move. The days of 14 second small and big blocks are long gone, if you want them to be. Lots of good aftermarket support for the Mopar guys.

It is still hard to leave it stock. I have an old Mopar Performance repro Hydraulic cam kit, but I also have a Racer Brown solid flat tappet cam that was going in. Not really a numbers matching guy, more like a period piece.

A good friend has a 68 Cuda Hemi Challenge roller. He wants to make a bracket racer out of it. I told him to put a 360 in it with a 904. We'll see what he does...

-
Back