360 and 727 TF

-

ALEX NEILL

Soup Sandwich
Reaction score
Alright gents, it has been some time since I last posted but I have been busy getting my valiant in to the body shop. My last post regarded a 360. I purchased it for 300 bucks. looks to be in good condition. while the body is getting it's work done i've been scouting for a tranny and rear end.

Today I found a 727 at a junk yard down the road for 175 bones. I don't think this to be to bad of a price as it's exterior appears to be in good condition. Haven't bought it yet though. My only concern is the rebuild process. I know nothing of transmissions. The only reason I am going this route is so I can have a decent strong transmission behind a stroker motor, hopefully putting out between the 400-450 hp range.

My questions regarding this transmission are:
a. Is this the wrong transmission for this horsepower.

b. Can anyone refer me to a tranny shop or individual with the know how and familiarity of the 727 TF and the MOPAR realm.

c. Since I aim to drive this on the street and perhaps later on the strip, what things should I consider when having it rebuilt. IE... parts and upgrades.

d. If I was to say that I may have found another 727 with a 4 clutch pack, would this make a difference. I'm waiting on some numbers to help me out.

As far as the rear end is concernicus, and correct me if I am wrong here folks, but the 8 3/4 should be the way I should go ? (do you like that question mark at the end ?). Someone tried to sell me a danna 60 last night but I said no thanks. It's my ignorance (not stupidity) that prevented me from buying it as I just haven't read anything YET detailing the use of the dana for A body vehicles. Should I attempt to find a 8 3/4 with sure grip ? keep in mind I'm not a welder so I would need the easiest bolt on I could find or, something that would require little welding as not to break my bank. not a cheapo but I plan on putting some dough in to the motor. Trying to budget accordingly.

yah, that's U.S Mail tape on the end of the tranny! It's all I could find at the moment. got the new motor hanging for yah too. if anyone wants the motor and lives in NC or is close to area code 28460 give me a holler.

Alex

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

well, i'm certainly not objective to using the 904. What are the major advantages to using the 904 vice the 727.

Alex

Yep, most racers I know are running the 904 for the HP savings. The 727 draws too much HP over the 904, something like 20 HP to get the added mass of the trans internals moving. Plus, the 904 can be found with a 5 disc clutch pack and 4 planetary gear drum. $175.00 is way overpriced for a junkyard trans. I just sold a nice 727 SB trans at my Mopar garage sale for $75.00, and it was clean and ready to go in. Get a 904, and maybe the lower gearset and input shaft from an A-999 trans and you'll be a happy camper!!! Geof

That tranny hooked up to the slant six will not fit a v-8. They have different bell housings. Not sure if you knew that or not.

I'd use a 904, you don't need that 727.

I Agree!

A nicely built 904 will handle that HP level no problem. 904 takes less HP to drive. It's a win/win using the 904.

The $175 you were going to spend on the 727, go buy a transstar deluxe rebuild kit from northern auto. Spend another $30-60 on a transguide and rebuild it yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/A-727-A-904-ATSG...Motors_Manuals_Literature?hash=item5637eedbb8

There is a video from "technical videos", Automatic transmission rebuilding series, #1205, that shows how do do a 727. Same basics apply to a 904, it's just smaller in size.

They are really easy. If you can rebuild and assemble and engine, a trans is a piece of cake too.

Well,others have covered your tranny question very well. As for the Dana you didnt need it unless your planning for more than 600 h.p all the time. Dana 60's came with hemi's. They stand up to just about anything and when your making just too much power and are afraid for your 8 3/4's life,the Dana will survive.

I'm gonna guess that Dana was from a truck or something anyway, and would take considerable work to get it under an A body. Now if it were a B body Dana, I would have bought that for a resell, they're worth their weight in gold!!! Geof

Thanks guys. i feel like i'm headed in a better direction. I will now look for a 904 and try to rebuild it myself. anyone got one they want to sell ? hit me up. thanks for the help though guys. I love this place !

alex

Honestly I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a used 904/727 unless the guy had receipts. As far as the rear goes I would find a decent abody 8 3/4 suregrip rear and pay the money. When you start narrowing housings, buying aftermarket axles and installing new bearings and seals $$$ ask me how I know.

Another thing I just wanted to let you know that oil pan on your 360 won't work in your valiant.

Another thing I just wanted to let you know that oil pan on your 360 won't work in your valiant.
If you are worried about running a 904 with your intended motor then you will be fine. A friend of mine runs 1 in his race car that runs mid 9's in the quarter. After a little bashing on it he has installed some high dollar parts for reliability reasons but ran it for a long time before said parts were installed. We have been selling 904's here for $25 as no one really seems to need them when we have more than 2 or 3 laying around, so you should be able to pick one up relatively cheap.

IN terms of trannys, the 727 will be able to live behind the stroker in basic stock form witha shift kit. The 904 will not. What you see in race cars is not a stock 904. I'd get that 727, but I agree as a working core it's worth $100. It will be cheaper to rebuild that 727 stock with a TF2 shift kit or valve body, then it will to aquire and properly build a 904 for duty behind a 408/410. Just my opinion...

Thanks again for the info. Just when I thought I had enough to get me going you guys throw some more at me.
That dana 60 was from a grand fury wagon. Does that change things ! I also new that old pan wouldn't fit either. I have another one that will allow the proper clearance on the bottom.

Moper: I'm a bit perplexed as from what I know understand, the 904 is just about the same as the 727 only in smaller form. I'm sure there is more to it though.

alex

-
Back