360 block cylinder wall thickness

-

07raptorgytr

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked many times within post but has never really been answered.
Over all what is a minimum wall thickness should I look for when rebuilding a block. I know this all varies from intended use.
So I know there are some builders on this forum that can enlighten the masses with general guidelines per style of build.
As for me I plan on building a 550 to 600 block hp 414ci , so when I go to my machine shop I would like to know when he tells me that so and so cylinder ran a sonic test of .150" I know it is either good or bad.... thanks all

Your machinist SHOULD know if it's safe to go. I heard a million people say you can't take a 360 to 4.060. I had mine sonic checked. Thoroughly. My guy said I coulda gone 80 over if needed. 1973 block.

The first really great machinist I've ever seen. He fixed all the crap and left me with a gem. I can't stress how important it is to find a real good guy.

Ah forgot you want the actual numbers. I can't tell ya cause its beyond me. When you look at your sonic sheet there's 64.....I think, numbers....all different places in each cyljnder. Thrust surface this, non thrust that. I don't need to understand it all when he said "it'll survive a pounding".

the block will handle that power fine ,no need to go to big in the bore ,sonic check is good info for the start of your build.cheers

-
Back