360 express engine

-
Do you mean a 360 from a 78 or 79 Lil Red Express pick-em-up truck?

Yes, that would be a good base to start with...

Do you mean a 360 from a 78 or 79 Lil Red Express pick-em-up truck?

Yes, that would be a good base to start with...
yes-the 360 lil red engine is correct. any idea what you would deffinately want or have to change to this engine to make a hot street/strip engine? heads? any ideas? thanks

Yeah, in all honesty, it's basically the same as any LA 360 from that era. Just with a hotter cam and a windage tray.

its nothing really special.. any old 360 is just as good.

Unless someone is looking for a LRE engine, and then there's a big difference. Probably worth 2-3 times what a regular 360 goes for. Just sayin.

According to the L’il Red Express Club (no longer on-line), the following additional items were added to the stock 360 in 1978:

Camshaft from the 1968 340 4-bbl.
Red stripe valvesprings with damper from the 1968 340 4-bbl.
Standard valve retainers (replacing rotators)
Large Thermo-Quad from Police 360
Intake manifold from the 1978 Police 360
Windage tray from Police 360
Roller timing chain and sprockets from Police 360
Dual-snorkel air cleaner with fresh air ducts
Chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid
Street-Hemi style mufflers

yes-the 360 lil red engine is correct. any idea what you would deffinately want or have to change to this engine to make a hot street/strip engine? heads? any ideas? thanks

How fast do you want to go and how much $$$ do you have???

A good start would be installing 2.02" intake valves in place of the stock 1.88". :D

Unless someone is looking for a LRE engine, and then there's a big difference. Probably worth 2-3 times what a regular 360 goes for. Just sayin.

but it doesn't sound like its going in a lil red. it atleast isn't going to be all stock in a little red either..

According to the L’il Red Express Club (no longer on-line), the following additional items were added to the stock 360 in 1978:

Camshaft from the 1968 340 4-bbl.
Red stripe valvesprings with damper from the 1968 340 4-bbl.
Standard valve retainers (replacing rotators)
Large Thermo-Quad from Police 360
Intake manifold from the 1978 Police 360
Windage tray from Police 360
Roller timing chain and sprockets from Police 360
Dual-snorkel air cleaner with fresh air ducts
Chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid
Street-Hemi style mufflers

the cam is a question.. some places it was a 340 cam and others say it was just a regular production 360 cam..

The Lil Red Express trucks got the later 340 cam. The early cam would have never passed emissions. I knew a guy here in Jones county that collected them. He's been dead several years and his family is still fighting over his stuff. Pitiful.

340 and 360 4bbl cam are the same. I pulled one out of a 86 camper, same specs. 268/276 .429(.430)/.444 but they have a different part number. Maybe the 340 112 centerline is different. My 360 had rotators though.

the engine will be going in a 69 dart i am building. i do not have a lre engine. trying to figure out what to build for the dart. i have a 73-440 out of a 1973 chrysler that ran perfect; but i really do not think i want to put that in the dart. trying to decide what to do? i do have to keep budget under control.

Buy a 5.9 magnum from your local LKQ. They sell high mileage engines for around 300-500 WITH A WARRANTY. It will be in good enough shape to just do a basic re-ring, slide you a nice performance cam in and probably get by with a basic valve job. Probably for around 1500-2000 dollars you can have an honest 350 or better HP.

X2 on the magnum, going to get one on the stand to start on next.

Attachments

• aspen side shot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 178
Buy a 5.9 magnum from your local LKQ. They sell high mileage engines for around 300-500 WITH A WARRANTY. It will be in good enough shape to just do a basic re-ring, slide you a nice performance cam in and probably get by with a basic valve job. Probably for around 1500-2000 dollars you can have an honest 350 or better HP.

throw on some rhs heads, 410 gears,and your a street contender

-
Back