360 Fit

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
I have a 71 Swinger, and I'm almost at the point of giving up trying to find a 340, and shopping for a 360LA engine as directed by a good mechanic friend of mine. What range of 360 engines would fit in my car? What does the LA mean?

Thanks

Lets make it simple... most people wouldn't be able to tell if its a 273, 318, 340, or 360 without looking real close. They'll all "bolt in".

Did your mechanic mention magnum swaps as well?
Not much more trouble and a roller can for easier oil selection
Unless you can find a roller la, I would consider a magnum

I went with a 360LA in my '71. If I had other options I'd go with 360 magnum for a variety of reasons, primarily being a roller. I also like the nice sealing 10-bolt valve covers.

Check your local craigslist or sale ads. Sometimes you can find a wrecked but running truck with a 5.9 magnum. Wished I would have went that route. Currently have two early 70-s 360 in my darts. Just my 2 cents.

Just a few FYI items if you look for/go with an LA version (Magnums have their own little quirks and necessary changes which others will know more about) :

1) 360 car oil pan is different than the 273/318/340 oil pan.
2) 340/360 engine mounts are a bit wider on one side than 273/318.
3) You'll need the proper counterweighted converter or flexplate to go with the externally balanced 360.
4) LA 360's were available from 1971 through 1992 (or early '93).
5) If you get one out of a truck or van, the oil pan sump location won't work in a car.
6) Early balancers had a counterweight. Later 360's had weight removed.

Otherwise, all other external stuff will interchange. (Pulleys, intakes, brackets, headers, distributors, etc.)
001-jpg.jpg
dsc02935-jpg.jpg

I would look for the 89-92 roller LA motors and they can be found in vans and trucks. I found mine with 75,000 miles in an old church van for a few hundred. I prefer the LA to Magnums because there a s**t ton of aftermarket parts compared to the magnum. My engine had a windage tray and reusable steel/rubber gaskets for the pan and valve covers.

-
Back