360 harmonic balancer: the new 1 can't be right?

-

TheBigDude

Reaction score
Okay. I've tried to figure this out myself but I'm finding conflicting information. Is this new balancer the correct replacement for my old one? the new one is missing the big chunk of cast metal on the front side, and there is a shield thingy missing on the back side as well. On the other hand I can't find a new one that looks anything like the old one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 403
Old one is an earlier 360 balancer. New one looks to be a later 360 balancer. Instead of big counter weight they hollowed out the center more. Im not a 360 expert, but i have been told they are interchangeable. Someone more into 360s may chime in.

Does the new balancer require a different seal on the timing cover? My front seal was not leaking but I'm thinking at this point I may as well pull off the timing cover and replace the seal before I put everything back together. I'm all ears if anybody wants to throw in their 2 cents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 384
I cant see new one that well. Is it clam shelled? Hollowed out 3/4 of the way around. Almost don't look it. May be wrong balancer for neutral balanced engine. And no it will be the same front seal. Looks like old one was sleeved.

If maybe you could take it out of the plastic instead of hiding it, we might could tell you.

..............I think he is trying not to remove the plastic as it may not be returnable then.....no it doesn't look right to me....kim.........

..............I think he is trying not to remove the plastic as it may not be returnable then.....no it doesn't look right to me....kim.........

It could be the later balancer with the cutout instead of the counterweight, in which case it will work fine. But without being able to see the thing, we'll never know. If I wanted to know about something I would damn sure make it visible.

Obviously I left it in the plastic for the simple reason I do not think it is the right one and want to make sure I don't get any **** about returning it. I see there are some clever folks on here. It's kind of reminding me of a jeep forum I gave up on.

It's not about being clever. It's about trying to help YOU with a question YOU asked. I don't know of any company that would not take it back as long as it's not been installed. But it's your decision. If we cannot see the thing, then we cannot make the call. Pretty simple, really.

Lucky it didn't come in a cardboard box is all I can say. I'm not really sure how you expected people to see it in the bag, because we can't. By the way, the "smart" people are the one's who know it can be taken out of the bag and returned if it's not correct. Installing, removing and returning is when it can become a problem.

Here is a pic of what the later 360 version should look like.

If your old balancer/damper has a sleeve on it, you must replace the seal because the old seal will be "expanded" by the sleeve.

Pioneer has an OEM replacement through Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-da3602/overview/make/dodge

If you would consider an original used version, you can PM me.

Attachments

• HB360C.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 312
Thanks Locomotion and Swinger 340. I clearly do not have the right balancer. I'm going to order the one from Summit linked by Locomtion.

And to those above who find it necessary to flame people, if you don't know what you are talking about you might might want to troll elsewhere. The pictures I provided were actually redundant to my written question. As is evident from Locomotion's post, he knows what he is talking about and has probably ran into the same thing before - exactly the kind of person I needed to answer my question. So, the next time I will leave the wrong part in the box when I post my question so the trolls can move on.

Does any one know the cut-off years between the 2 styles of balancer?

Bob

Does any one know the cut-off years between the 2 styles of balancer?

Bob

The different style may have started in the late '70's. But I haven't found a confirmation of that yet. Removing metal on the opposite side was probably a cost-saving measure and and does the same thing to externally balance the engine.

B&M did this with their externally balanced flexplates. Originally they had a weight plate welded on to a solid, round plate. In later years, they simply cut a cresent-like section out of the opposite side.

Myron (Locomotion) is correct on the DA-3602 part number. At least for the LA 360 externally balanced engines. This is the exact balancer I have for my 360 which was externally balanced (1979 Block).
I don't think the aforementioned people who posted about your question were "Really" trying to flame you. Their all here to help. These guys are good guys believe it or not.
Yeah... I have been rattled by them a few times, but they don't mean no harm.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

My 360 has the one on the right, I am not sure if they interchange though

First I have used both types on the same engine with no adverse effects.
I prefer the type with the material removed as they are lighter so in theory should rev quicker as in less rotating mass. Just my personal preference.

First I have used both types on the same engine with no adverse effects.
I prefer the type with the material removed as they are lighter so in theory should rev quicker as in less rotating mass. Just my personal preference.

Exactly. the two are 100% totally interchangeable.

Hey Locomotion. One last question if you know ( and I really appreciate the help I get on this site ) Is the timing cover seal the same part number for the old and new style balancer? Of course Napa has a seal but it's in a gasket kit. Can't open the kit and then find out it's wrong seal (per the explicit admonition of the kid standing behind the counter this morning...).

I assume I could just replace the seal without taking off the timing cover, but at this point it seems to me I may as well pull it and check the timing chaain and replace all the gaskets, including the oil pan gasket while I'm at it, and see what else the PO cobbled up. The whole damper thing started with trying to straighten out the PO's cobbled up pulley system. Then, I Discovered a completely stripped out bolt in the damper - not fixable with a tap. Looking at it close it looks like the rubber is dry rotted so here I am. On the timing cover the PO or somebody half stripped out one of the fuel pump bolts...man one thing leads to another.

Hmmmm. The OEM timing covers take the same seal and it installs from the inside. I've seen some newer covers (aftermarket?) that appear to have a larger hole for the seal. But I don't have one and can't be sure if it takes the same seal or not. It might be a redesign to allow replacement from the outside.

I've stripped out a few threads in the covers over the years. A heli-coil kit solved those problems!

This explains a lot!

Attachments

• 318_360_TIMING_COVER.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 217
Wow. Thanks to Locomtion. I can take it from here. I liked the video link,on your post. Cool car.

-
Back