360 oil sump.

-

tony20110

Reaction score
I've run into a problem and was hoping anyone could help or at least provide some advice. my 360 is a rear oil sump. Now that its in my 66 Cuda we are finding that it interferes with the steering center leak. Is there a front sump oil pan conversion like ford and LS engines have? If not what are possible solutions? Thanks FABO!

P5249059.jpg
I'm not familiar with the very early A-bodies, but rear sump pans come on trucks & vans. The car pan sump is offset slightly forward of center. That may be what you need.

I believe there are two different draglinks for the early a body a 6 &8 bar but it might only be some years,

Is your 360 from a truck or van? Those have the rear sump pans. An oil pan for most cars will work. They are actually sort of a center sump. Slightly forward. You might have a slight clearance issue with a car pan in an early A that can be taken care of with a ball peen hammer. (Slight dimple just behind the sump) Even with the car pan if your 66 was originally a slant six you will probably need the center link from an early A V8 car as the center link is about an inch lower for the V8 than the six, although by 66 quite a few slants got the V8 center link.

just be sure you also get a center sump pick up tube for it

The rear sump is a truck pan. They will not fit the A body chassis, as you have found out. You need a standard passenger car pan and pickup that is center sump. Made by the millions, they are nothing special, so don't let anyone rip you off with a stupid high price. You can buy a nice aftermarket pan and pickup very reasonably. You also need to make sure of course, that your car has the V8 center link, as I remember you have an early Cuda.

-
Back