360 or 440 in my 68 Cuda?

-

BillyBBad

Reaction score
I have a 360 in it right now with "J" heads and a few add ons. But I was thinking of....well......BIGGER :twisted:

Is it a real pain to drop in a 440?
If not bad then what can I expect to run in the 1/4 with a built 440 running maybe 150 shot of NOS?
I want 200 in a 2 stage but a buddy tells me i have a death wish if i do that.
Point me in the right direction guys :thumrigh:

STROKE the 360 to a 408"!!!!!....unless you want to put on VERY expensive under-chassis headers or cut up your engine compartment and put in fenderwell headers and have a headache everytime you change the plugs?? :shaking:

You can do it pretty easy. The only thing you need to do is clearance the block for the rod bolts. They sell kits or you can assemble your own like I did. I bought everything separate. I went with the steel crank instead of the (cast) steel crank. It was about $400 more but I think worth it. If you are gonna push it 600+ HP get the steel crank. You can run high 10's low 11's with ported J heads. Scotty does! Actually his J heads out flow my E heads a tad. Basically your looking for a rotating assembly and everything else will work. I did mine for $2500 labor included. I got a good deal on the labor and parts though. Going 440 will be a bi$ch. Way to much screwing around. You put the juice to a stroker and you'll be plenty fast.

You will have to be the judge of what you want in the end, but the bigblock will ultimately be the fastest in the long run. A "built" 440 punched out to 493 inchs, with stock Eddy heads and a good chassis combo will run low elevens all day long and not break a sweat. Then add a little gas, or in my case, go crazy, and you too can run 8s!!

id just stay with the small block for now just stroke it they got jobs of power like brett and scotty two of my fav cars around plus u can use a a lot of your old parts u hav now so in the long run it cheaper for u im gonna go with a 416 some time soon so i can run with some of the things i hav now but when i get older im putin a big block in here like my dad :cheers:

Stroke a 400!
You can get 470 cubes very easily and it will fit great!
Check out bigblockdart.com

BARRACUDA340S said:
You can do it pretty easy. The only thing you need to do is clearance the block for the rod bolts. They sell kits or you can assemble your own like I did. I bought everything separate. I went with the steel crank instead of the (cast) steel crank. It was about $400 more but I think worth it. If you are gonna push it 600+ HP get the steel crank. You can run high 10's low 11's with ported J heads. Scotty does! Actually his J heads out flow my E heads a tad. Basically your looking for a rotating assembly and everything else will work. I did mine for $2500 labor included. I got a good deal on the labor and parts though. Going 440 will be a bi$ch. Way to much screwing around. You put the juice to a stroker and you'll be plenty fast.

Ok Brett, I just may go the same way you did. When I remembered that I would have to use fenderwell headers I thought never mind :pale:

So, With a combo close to yours and bottle fed I may be looking at 10's here?
I was thinking 50hp to 100hp spray off the line with the rest comming in at the 1/8 mile.

Dam I have been out of this hobby for so long I have forgot alot of what I need to do :cry:

Brett, How do you have your chassis set up?

My chasis is simple, stock leafs with cal trac's. QA1 adjustables in all four corners. Frame ties and that's it. Just like I drive it one the street. Hooks like a Mother #%@&$#. :lol: 1.54's consistantly with daylight under both front tires. :D

UNLESS your gonna run INDY heads!!...indy heads you need a fenderwell header...i know this cuz of my dads 440 indy head duster!!!
20047163316895780561685.jpg

Personally I thibk the Pro-parts semi fenderwell headers look like the way to go.

I run mickey 28x9 at 14 psi with the rear shocks set about 50/50. I lower the front torsion bars a bit and set the fronts real light. This give's me better weight transfer.

its all personal preference..... a 440 will drop in pretty easy... and i would go with pro parts headders... easy starter replacement and easy to get to the plugs... the shumacher headders are really nice also but not sure if they will be enough for what you want to do..... but i can tell you that there is just nothing like a big block a-body.... look at the picture below. that is a 72 demon with a 440 and the pro part headders.... i ask you does that engine compartment look all cut up?? i would goto http://www.bigblockdart.com/ and look in the tech section and then decide if you want to do a big block or small block......

41558504.jpg
[/url]

i know that in a few years im gonna go big block as well there a blast to drive in iv never driven in a a body big block yet but my moms b body does a 12.11 in the 1/4 so i can only dream of what its like in an a body! :lol: :cheers:

-
Back