360 rocker ticking

-

miketed

Reaction score
Help, I am a new member. I have a 73 Duster with a 360 that has a rocker ticking. These are non adjustable. It runs fine, but annoying. Any suggestions? I have already ruled out an exhaust leak

Sounds like a lifter that wont stay pumped up or you could have a slightly bent pushrod that will sound like the rattle of solid lifters. But I am sure there will be others here with answers or ideas for you to check. Good luck!

You shoulda given me a holler when I was in Davenport yesterday, lol.

First off, welcome.

Secondly, my crystal ball is out of commission at the moment. A little more info on your 360 will help get you a better answer.

Is it stock, aftermarket cam, if so, which one? If it's stock, a bad or weak lifter comes to mind. Possibly a worn rocker arm.

Like I said, a bit more info will help.

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I bought the car off of E-bay 2 years ago and had it shipped from California. After decoding the tag it's not the original 318 that came with the car it's now a 360 dual quad, headers, offenhaus manifold, and seems to have a mild HP cam. Believe it or not it was in a movie stars car collection. I tried to get a build sheet on it because it had a $10.000 motor in it. No response. It does have j heads however.

I threw a can of STP in it, no luck. And yes, I know about the long gone zinc. God I hope it's not a worn cam lobe.

if it's a bit of varnish or dirt in the lifter the GM sevice bulletin would have you add some ATF and drive it for 50 miles or so and change your oil...

Just a thought. Header flange/gasket leak? Thought I had driver side lifter noise on my 340 when I first got it. Turned out to be loose header bolts and blown out gasket.

Pat

Mike, what valve covers are on it? Just make sure the rockers aren't contacting them for some reason.

And what's your oil pressure like? Do you have a aftermarket gauge? Does it happen at idle only or even with some rpm?

beleive it or not, you can idle this motor without a valve cover with minimal clean up. one with the top cut out is better as itll deflect pooled oil, but whatever you use you can usually get an idea which rocker is suspect, then you can pull pushrod and roll it or even pull the offending lifter and do a little 2 minute surgery and clean it out. Every one I have opened had "glitter" under the check valve, whether it was from a good motor or toasted. It just takes a few pieces to hold the check ball up and soften the lifter.

Thanks you guys, first of all I have Mopar Performance covers on. I get 30 to 58 psi on oil pressure. I have a gauge mounted behind the hood scoop, and also Dakota Digital on the dash. They both match psi exactly. My question is can I remove the whole rocker train to check push rods etc.? And replace worn parts easily? I have pictures on my I Pad but can't figure out how to post them in this forum. Also, I have idled this motor with the valve cover off. Is there something I need to look for other than noise? Thanks again!

Just a thought. Header flange/gasket leak? Thought I had driver side lifter noise on my 340 when I first got it. Turned out to be loose header bolts and blown out gasket.

Pat

This ^^ I had the EXACT same noise on my car, sounded like a rocker arm/lifter tick, but I just had a huge header leak, put in some new remflex gaskets and ive never had a problem since. Here's hoping that its not the cam...

Thanks you guys, first of all I have Mopar Performance covers on. I get 30 to 58 psi on oil pressure. I have a gauge mounted behind the hood scoop, and also Dakota Digital on the dash. They both match psi exactly. My question is can I remove the whole rocker train to check push rods etc.? And replace worn parts easily? I have pictures on my I Pad but can't figure out how to post them in this forum. Also, I have idled this motor with the valve cover off. Is there something I need to look for other than noise? Thanks again!

Look for one of the rocker arms that isn't moving as much as the others while its running, or with the motor off manually wiggle the rocker arms, if one has more play than the others that could be what is making the noise.

-
Back