360 year identification help

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I just picked up a 360 short block that a guy had stored since the early 80's. He said he took it out of a 79 volare but it wasn't the original eng. that came with the car. On the side of the block you can make out the month and day of 11 2 and the first number of the year is 7 but the last number of the year is impossible to make out. Could be either a 3 or a 8. I noticed it has the old style balancer (the one with the extra counterweight attached to the front of the balancer as opposed to the newer one that has a part cut out of the backside). This leads me to believe it's probably a 73. When it comes time to order bearings I need to know positively. The numbers on the left front below the cyl head are 3W 360R 4504. I don't know if this means anything or not but thought I'd add it. If anyone knows any way to positively identify it I'd appreciate it.

Post the numbers off the front of the block right below the cylinder head(driver side) if you can read them.

I looked and am not coming up with anything. I take it the the driver side of the block doesn't have any numbers cast into it? What about the vin pad by the pan rail on the driver side? If the motor has never been rebuilt the bearings almost always have a date stamped into them on the underside.

I looked and am not coming up with anything. I take it the the driver side of the block doesn't have any numbers cast into it? What about the vin pad by the pan rail on the driver side? If the motor has never been rebuilt the bearings almost always have a date stamped into them on the underside.

The only numbers cast onto the drivers side is the block casting number followed by 360. I didn't even think about the vin pad by the pan rail. I just went out and dug the grease off of it and the vin isn't very readable cause they let the die slip when they punched it but I didn't need the vin anyway, BUT a big 74 followed the vin number and was very legible so it is probably a 74 since it was made in nov. of 73.

Thanks alot SD. I think you helped me solve it.

Good to hear sorry again for not reading it carefully. The long casting number on the side of the block does help sometimes.
3418496=71-74
3870230=75
4006830=76-80

Your motor is a 1973 360:
3=1973
W=assembly plant code windsor
360=engine size
R=secondary code
4504=sequence build number
mrmopartech

-
Back