383 Accusump port

-

Walkstep

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an oil port on my '68 383 block to install the hose from my Accusump? They recommend 1/2" or 3/8" NPT. I was planning to use one of the oil sensor ports on the top back but I'm not sure it meets their spec. I'd prefer not to use the oil filter adapter and the engine is dyno'd and ready to run so I don't want to drill and tap it. Thanks for your help.

There are not any 1/2 or 3/8 NPT oil ports on a big block which are accessible. The oil pressure ports at the back are usually 1/8 and 1/4. You could've had the machine shop open one up to 3/8 NPT when the block was being machined.

you could fill the hole with grease (or vaseline as any residue will disolve on oil), drill and tap to size then crank the motor to push out the grease/vaseline and any swarf stuck in it.

I'm not sure how big you can go with the ports at the back of the block. If you're going to go larger than 1/4 NPT you should practice on a junk block to see how thick that area is. I'm pretty sure you can't put 1/2 NPT back there without ruining the block but you might be able to get away with 3/8 NPT. Check it on a junker before ruining your engine.

I spoke with Canton, and they said I should be fine using the back ports. I have a 400 block with a larger passenger side port. Andrew

I spoke with Canton, and they said I should be fine using the back ports. I have a 400 block with a larger passenger side port. Andrew

Awesome. My block has an 1/8" & a 1/4" NPT at the back. The 1/4" measures .525" OD and i will give it a try. Thanks.

Post a few pics of your installation when you are done. Thanks Andrew
Also looking to install an Accusump. I’d like to see your set up when you’re done. What’s your reason for not using an oil filter adapter? Don’t you need an adapter type “thingy” for the back port anyways?

Also looking to install an Accusump. I’d like to see your set up when you’re done. What’s your reason for not using an oil filter adapter? Don’t you need an adapter type “thingy” for the back port anyways?

The Canton oil filter adapter looks like it will be a tight fit in the filter cutout on the K-Member: 22-565 Alum Oil Input Adapter Univ Sandwich Style For 3/4" -16, 2 5/8"

This is the adapter I will start with for the 1/4" back port: Aeroquip AN to NPT Adapter Fittings FBM2444

You may be right on the Canton adapter as it supposedly will lower the filter 1.5 inch. Not only that but $109 for a friggin’ adapter, :realcrazy:. Keep in touch and I’ll watch you do it first:poke:. I might be changing my mind on this setup altogether.

-
Back