383/build

-

daisyak9

70 Dart 383
Reaction score
I had a question for ya when you posted up your combo in my thread-what all kinda specs are built into your engine?

Deck height?
p/v clearance?
cam degreed to...?
Have you put it on rollers yet?

I'm looking forward to receiving the 383 I've paid for, and using some 516 heads (I know I know...they're 2bbl, but closed chamber) with some mild upgrades. I don't believe I'll use quite as much cam as you, but might run the same pistons depending on some variables...

Also, I think your CR estimate may be just a touch optimistic unless you're zero decked, with steel shim head gaskets...but then I have no idea how yours is put together-please elaborate :)

I'm running the cam straight up with factory valve train, upgraded springs and machined seats. I should probaly know my deck height but can't recall. .019 Head gasket. I might have got a little happy when choosing a cam, hince the stall. Somewhere I have a sheet with specs from the machine shop but I can't seem to locate it.. Considering going to a duel plane intake, I also just rebuilt 650 Demon double pumper I am gonna try...

By straight up, I'm guessing you mean you installed it 0* adv/ret dot-to-dot. Thing is, with COMP cams, they grind their bumpsticks (unless specifically requested, or otherwise stated) 4* advanced. So, as long as your timing set is dead on, you're actually installing it at a 106* ICL as opposed to the 110* ICL that the cam is actually supposed to be.

If you're running a steel shim head gasket with a .500"+ lift cam, and no valve reliefs, your pistons are probably in the hole a pretty good bit or your p/v is super close, but then again, I can't claim any familiarity with BBM build up. I know factory slugs, and factory replacements like KB Silvolites are as much as 0.080" in the hole based solely on what I've read-if not more.

Let's assume for the moment, your pistons are 0.050" the hole with no reliefs, an 0.019" head gasket that's 4.38" diameter (pretty standard), and 72cc combustion chambers, you're probably closer to 10:1. If you're < 0.020" in the hole, your CR would be closer to your original estimate if not possibly higher. But I'd think your valve clearance would be super close with .500" lift and no reliefs.

There's very likely someone in here that's done either a very similar build, or the exact same build before...hope they chime in.

-
Back