383 Oil Seepage

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I currently have a 383 (stock cam and compression) with an Offy intake and Holley 1850. Intake is sealed well with Felpro valley pan and RTV on both sides of the gasket around the ports. The carb studs had to be 3/8" dia, as that is what the intake required, so I drilled the carb bolt holes to accept this. Carb is sealed well to intake. PCV system and breather was working well and their is no issue with that. The one thing I didnt do was add thread sealer to the intake bolt threads, but I doubt that has any effect.

The car runs great, has excellent torque and idles smoothly. The odd minor issue that I am noticing is that there is a bit oil staining to the rear and left sides of the intake just under the carb base, after running the car for a while. I will wipe the intake off, then drive again to work the next day (50 miles), come home, and a bit of staining will be present again.

With all of the above taken into consideration, what could be the cause of oil being pulled up through the carb base gasket? There is a small amount of oil smoke out the exhaust during a hot start after sitting a bit, but that may be attributed to slightly worn valve seals.

There are 60,000 miles on the motor. Excellent oil pressure.

I dont think you are seeing oil staining but fuel seepage from around your throttle shafts. When the car is idling spray some carb cleaner at the ends of the shafts and i bet the motor stumbles.....

-
Back