383 timing

-

69fastbackfish

Reaction score
i am trying to dial in the timing on a 383 that has edelbrock intake carb, and mild cam. not sure where i should be on degrees, also i was told you cant set timing on a msd ignition set up. i have top dead center and car starts right up. how many rps should i be running at idle? any help would be great

Timing stock: 8-10 deg. before top dead center, initally. Upgtaded: 10-12 deg. before topdead center, initial. Total timing stock: 30-32 deg. Upgraded: 32-36 deg. Idle stock: 750-775 r.p.m. Upgraded: 800 & up IN GEAR with as much vacuum as possible

Find the point it kicks back on the starter when at operating temp and see where that falls.

Most mopars like a lot of initial advance. You have no idea on cam so it could be anywhere from 12-26 initial. Find the spot the engine likes best, usually the more the better..

Total you'll have to get that done after the initial is sorted out and alter mechanical advance to hit your total number.

set timing with vacuum advance disconnected and line plugged. after timing is locked down reconnect vacuum line and recheck timing. the advance should go up to 18deg. to 20 deg. id not, disconnect vacuum, insert 3/32" allen wrench into vacuum chamber and turn until you achieve the desired advance, reconnect vacuum line. Vacuum is important for economical street operation, also, it smooths out advance so it comes in gradually. Remember, todays gas is crap. You have to live with it.

-
Back