3M Yellow or Black

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if 3M Yellow of Black, Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive is better to use on a cork gasket install on a 318 oil pan? Installing pan this weekend and want to make sure I get it right, thanks.

I have been using the yellow(gorilla snot) for 20 yrs +/-. It's all I ever use and never ever let me down. I never put it on the block side especially with transmission pans.

Permatex The Right Stuff.
Best of the Best for assembling motors.

3m black for weatherstrip.

Is weatherstrip adhesive heat and oil tolerant? I use RTV cause it's made for high heat applications and is oil resistant. I've never used "the right stuff" Johnny Dart mentioned but a buddy of mine did a while back and said it worked great.

I use the yellow stuff all the time to hold gaskets in place. never had an issue. Obviously it is not RTV so don't use it like RTV. I would only use it to hold things in place.

I checked the 3M canadian website and couldnt find any wetherstrip adhesive?? I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" with my felpro cork gasket on dads 273 pan and it puked out the side, but I neglected to do "tin-knocking" before installing...gonna do it again and will put "Right Stuff" on the panside only. Anyone got a link to this 3M stuff??

Steve,
It's puking out the side because you are torquing the pan down to quick and or to tight.
Any product would do this. Hand tighten the screws, let the sealant "set-up", and then torque the bolts the required amount. Depending on the tempature,set-up time could be anywhere from 1hr to 5hr. Also,remember a little of this stuff goes along way. A nice little bead on the pan gasket,smoothed out with your finger is all it needs.

-
Back