4.0L HO Jeep Cherokee Build Thread?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Anyone interested? It's just a cheapy re-ring. This sucker has 223K on and is rattling bad. I just got the engine out and figured I'd document the worlds cheapest engine build. I'd love to do a nice stroker with a cam but that isn't going to happen at this stage of my life. Right now it's got a bunch of collapsed lifters, a ton of blow-by and it's peeing oil out every seal and gasket..... I figure I might get another 50K out of it when I'm done.

It's not a V-8 or a slant but it's still a Mopar, lol. Well kind of, it's really an AMC engine. :read2:

Yea I'm interested. I just traded for a Cherokee with a 4.0 and 210,000 miles. It's still running great but a rebuild will be in the cards sooner or later. I will be looking forward to your posts.
Bob

I wouldn't mind keeping tuned....my DD is a '93 Cherokee Country 4x4 with a H.O 4.0L

I have owned a couple 4.0L inline and loved them, I had a complete tune up and new exhaust header put on it and Treva drove it for a couple years and loved it. I think the inline six is tuffer and longer lasting than the v6.
And if you talk to the off road'ers here they swear by them =P~.
clean out all the vacuum lines Joe, But I am sure you know that.

cook%20and%20fish%20225.jpg

Those 4.0's are good engines. Several friends have swapped the 258 crank in there and made torquey little engines out of them for cheap. There are always tons of the engines out at the wrecking yard. Should be a fun project!

It's not a V-8 or a slant but it's still a Mopar, lol. Well kind of, it's really an AMC engine. :read2:
So's the valvetrain in our Magnums...:-D That being said, let's see it. Some of us might have to do one in the future and having the techs on it would be helpful.

Fine engine, fine engine. Would definitely be interested in seeing this!

Yea I'm interested. I just traded for a Cherokee with a 4.0 and 210,000 miles. It's still running great but a rebuild will be in the cards sooner or later. I will be looking forward to your posts.
Bob

Consider it done Bob! I looked at a '91 with much lower mileage than the one I bought last year but the interior was beat to death and it looked like it slid into about 10 snow banks, needed a windshield, etc. Mine was cheaper by 300 bucks too. I know engines better than body work. :)

Cherokees are in big demand here and it's hard to find one cheap. I paid $900 for mine.

I wouldn't mind keeping tuned....my DD is a '93 Cherokee Country 4x4 with a H.O 4.0L

I think mines a Laredo but I'm not 100% sure. It's got power everything and a factory alarm.

I have owned a couple 4.0L inline and loved them, I had a complete tune up and new exhaust header put on it and Treva drove it for a couple years and loved it. I think the inline six is tuffer and longer lasting than the v6.
And if you talk to the off road'ers here they swear by them =P~.
clean out all the vacuum lines Joe, But I am sure you know that.

I've always been impressed by these ever since I got one as a loaner when my '97 Dakota was at the dealer. I was blown away by the power and torque as I really thought it was going to be a slug. :) I had a friend with one with the early (carbureated) V-6 and that engine was a pile of crap. The engine ended up breaking a crank nose off in the first year he had it.

Yep, vacuum lines were plugged when I got it. :) Great pic of Socket too!

Those 4.0's are good engines. Several friends have swapped the 258 crank in there and made torquey little engines out of them for cheap. There are always tons of the engines out at the wrecking yard. Should be a fun project!

Yes sir that is an option albeit one I can't afford in both time and money. :) It would be nice to have the extra .5-.7 of a liter though...:-D We'll see how the stock crank looks.

So's the valvetrain in our Magnums...:-D That being said, let's see it. Some of us might have to do one in the future and having the techs on it would be helpful.

Lol! Yep, you got that right.:-D We've got some AMC blood in the Mopar line. That first V-6 was really a GM design.... :puke:

Fine engine, fine engine. Would definitely be interested in seeing this!

Excellent! The engine is out and I got bolts from Home Repo to bolt this sucker to the engine stand last night and lo and behold the trans mounting bolts are SAE.... WTF? Everything else was metric. Another odd thing I noticed is that I did not have to adjust the lower arms of my engine stand from the last 360 I had mounted. The lower engine/bellhousing holes are EXACTLY the same spread. Huh.

I'll start a new thread in the engine section once I get this sucker torn down. I'm hoping to get away with just a hone, rings, bearings if I have to, lifters, oil pump and a timing chain. The chain has 4 degrees of slop in it. Generally, most people can get close to 300K out these engines but this Cherokee has seen some very hard use and has a class IV hitch on it. I'm thinking someone has done a lot of towing with this thing.

Another tidbit of information, the 4.0 HO in '92 was rated at 190 HP and 235 ft. lbs of torque.

I've been doing some general research on cam timing and messing around with Desktop Dyno building all manner of small blocks. I've learned that (in general) advancing the cam lowers the peak torque RPM (and can broaden the torque curve) and retarding the cam tends to increase peak HP and the RPM it occurs at. Generally, most people don't retard a cam unless it's wrong for the application so advancing would be the only option I'd consider here. So yeah, I would like to see what would happen if you advance the cam in this 4.0.

Little background leading up to my point - our '01 Cherokee is experiencing some hard starting problems and is generally not running so great. No codes though, no serious misfires but just kind of feeling worn out. I have yet to delve into anything but first thoughts are the ignition and fuel system just being old (105K + mi.) Fuel pump was replaced a few years ago, maybe the filter is gunked up. I serviced the injectors two years ago too so I think they're OK.

Anyway, my other thought was timing chain stretch. If I end up tearing into it that far, I thought about advancing the cam. Not sure if there's a provision to do so, but if there is, I'd definitely do it, 'just to see'.

Might be interesting to consider since these cars are always a compromise with all the electronics and emissions stuff - it could be retarded from the factory and you'd never know until you advanced it and saw a difference. I'll bet you'd see results if you were able to do it without setting codes. Like to hear your thoughts on this since you're doing the chain.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Whew!

It will be a good thread Joe! The 1990 I drove down the hill for lunch with you had 312,000 on it. I did pull it apart @ 223,000 to reseal it and found a little more wear in the cylinder bores than I liked so I did a rebuild on it.

I'm going to pick up a 1996 Cherokee Sport with 143,000 on it Sunday. I picked it up for 1,650.00. It does need carpet and the interior cleaned up but seemed to run great.

I look forward to following this thread and if you might need some help let me know.
Also Dude, Hope the job comes thru for you!

Kim

I'll be watching this thread too. Mini-me drives a 91 Cherokee with 170K on it. I'll probably buy a junk yard engine and rebuild it, so that he can keep driving it. Then swap it out in a weekend.

-
Back