4.7L Trans info

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
I am looking into putting a different transmission into my truck and I am curious if the bellhousing is the same as the 318 normal smallblock bellhousing. From what I could find via the google monster it seemed like they are. Just want to know if someone knows for definate.

Thanks
Jeff

I am looking into putting a different transmission into my truck and I am curious if the bellhousing is the same as the 318 normal smallblock bellhousing. From what I could find via the google monster it seemed like they are. Just want to know if someone knows for definate.

Thanks
Jeff

the belhousing is the same, where the dust shield bolts on is a little different but that won't mattter just use the dust shield from the transmission your installing

The 545RFE tranny that came behind the 4.7 is a full electronically controlled unit. You will need to adapt the 4.7 ecu to control it unless you can find a stand alone tranny controller, I am not aware of one.

The 545RFE tranny that came behind the 4.7 is a full electronically controlled unit. You will need to adapt the 4.7 ecu to control it unless you can find a stand alone tranny controller, I am not aware of one.

think he is thinking of putting an older style transmission behind the 4.7 in his truck. which makes sense if he has a bad transmission cause rebuilds on fully electronic transmissions add up quick! probably buy a good used 46 RH (A-518 )or A-727 for a tenth of the price to rebuild a 545RFE

Well actually Im looking at putting the manual transmission in. I researched it a little more and the one it is I guess is the Getrag 238 trans which seems to be the same trans they used in the 4.7L and that they also used in the power wagons with manuals from what I have found. It is seeming like a problem to try and find a used one though. I know the newer 1500 use the 9 1/4 rear as the older trucks but just a little updated. Does anyone know if the transfer case will work with an older truck.

Thanks
Jeff

-
Back