[SOLD] 4 barrel LA Intake

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many persons actually do figure out by themselves which rear gear ratio is to be used when knowing exactly which gear ratios are in their transmissions, starting with their first gear and after that is done, what height their tires are? These specs will help tremendously when putting a vehicle together which may also extend the life of your whole kit and kaboodle.

Failure to know this is the difference between first and second and we all know that second place is the first loser

Early ones have hi-ratio's too...My '77 3/4 Camper Special came with a 3.07 D60...Isn't F*rd amazing???...3.07 in a 3/4 ton Camper Special???...No wonder the 400 engine and trans were hooped with only 70k miles on them when I bought it......What were they thinking...! It's 3.54 w /a 472(460+.060) now...it'll pull a house over!

Yeah. I'm quite happy with the towing capability. Had a bed full up to the bed rails of concrete bags and could still take off in 2nd gear. I don't mind if I lose a little of that if I could improve cost of ownership lol

Unfortunately, I do need it for towing. I have it stacked to the rim with lumber on a regular basis. I build houses for a living.

That said a lot. I have heard nothing but poor mileage stories when people tow trailers with Dodge FI trucks. I think your option would be a turbo diesel. One other option is hydrogen generators. Keep them maintained and you should see a few mpg increase. I got 3.6 mpg increase out of my Neon before it got smashed by a F450 wrecker. Check out some youtube videos on them. I will also mention some people get worse mileage because they don't know how to trick their O2 sensor or with OBD II computers have them reprogrammed. If you go carborated, that won't be a problem. I wish I weren't so busy, because I would like to experiment on my truck. It is a chore to keep up with them.

So how many persons actually do figure out by themselves which rear gear ratio is to be used when knowing exactly which gear ratios are in their transmissions, starting with their first gear and after that is done, what height their tires are? These specs will help tremendously when putting a vehicle together which may also extend the life of your whole kit and kaboodle.

Failure to know this is the difference between first and second and we all know that second place is the first loser

I can tell you now that I don't remember what gearing is in my np435. I found that info once about 6mo ago, but don't recall. Truck calls for 235/85/16. I have 265/75/16 on it now (same height). Do you know off the top of your head how to obtain this info?

Unfortunately, I do need it for towing. I have it stacked to the rim with lumber on a regular basis. I build houses for a living.

That said a lot. I have heard nothing but poor mileage stories when people tow trailers with Dodge FI trucks. I think your option would be a turbo diesel. One other option is hydrogen generators. Keep them maintained and you should see a few mpg increase. I got 3.6 mpg increase out of my Neon before it got smashed by a F450 wrecker. Check out some youtube videos on them. I will also mention some people get worse mileage because they don't know how to trick their O2 sensor or with OBD II computers have them reprogrammed. If you go carborated, that won't be a problem. I wish I weren't so busy, because I would like to experiment on my truck. It is a chore to keep up with them.

10mpg hwy/6.8mpg town is without a load. How do you "trick" an o2 sensor with the obd1? Didn't know that was possible without a trick sensor

One way I was told is wrapping aluminum foil around it. Neon was OBD II and never had an issue. I had a book and was a member of a blog, but it has been a few years.

BTW, how's building up there? I'm doing rehabs here, and we are having trouble keeping inventory. DOM is low. That's an abbreviation you should recognize. Too many people are moving here for jobs. Yeah, it's hot, but we got work.

One way I was told is wrapping aluminum foil around it. Neon was OBD II and never had an issue. I had a book and was a member of a blog, but it has been a few years.

BTW, how's building up there? I'm doing rehabs here, and we are having trouble keeping inventory. DOM is low. That's an abbreviation you should recognize. Too many people are moving here for jobs. Yeah, it's hot, but we got work.

Foil? Around the whole thing or just the sensor down in the pipe/manifold?

We have work, but no workers! I don't get it.

Top half where it connects to harness.
I'm training my 2 boys. I was at Lowes earlier and the youngster in the tool department was very knowlegable about tools. I was asking him how he knew so much and he started telling me about how much he loves working on projects/building things. He has his own tools and they are good ones. He didn't know I was thinking job interview. I'm ready to see what he can do and I have the perfect project for him. I bet we have him starting his own company in a few months.

Top half where it connects to harness.
I'm training my 2 boys. I was at Lowes earlier and the youngster in the tool department was very knowlegable about tools. I was asking him how he knew so much and he started telling me about how much he loves working on projects/building things. He has his own tools and they are good ones. He didn't know I was thinking job interview. I'm ready to see what he can do and I have the perfect project for him. I bet we have him starting his own company in a few months.

I'll try that. Maybe I got a dud or two

I can tell you now that I don't remember what gearing is in my np435. I found that info once about 6mo ago, but don't recall. Truck calls for 235/85/16. I have 265/75/16 on it now (same height). Do you know off the top of your head how to obtain this info?

Tire height info is here: http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

As far as your transmission, I haven't searched for you model transmiission, yet you have a granny first gear so that should be around 4:00 to 4:07 which is very similar to the NV3500 except yours does not have an overdrive. Knowing all of what I stated have a huge effect on gas mileage.

My 90 Chevy p/u got almost 20 mpg with its NV3500 yet when I installed a T56 six speed, it got 23 mpg and now with it's LT1 and much more HP, it gets around 27 mpg

Tire height info is here: http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

As far as your transmission, I haven't searched for you model transmiission, yet you have a granny first gear so that should be around 4:00 to 4:07 which is very similar to the NV3500 except yours does not have an overdrive. Knowing all of what I stated have a huge effect on gas mileage.

My 90 Chevy p/u got almost 20 mpg with its NV3500 yet when I installed a T56 six speed, it got 23 mpg and now with it's LT1 and much more HP, it gets around 27 mpg

I know the tire size. I'm just not sure of the trans. When I first got the truck, it only had 265/70/16 on it :banghead: 3200rpm at 63mph.... Yuck.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Rev.
NP435A (Dodge, GM) 4.56 2.28 1.31 1.00 5.64
NP435L (Ford, Dodge, GM) 6.68 3.34 1.66 1.0 8.26

I cannot imagine those gear ratios other than heavy loads or rock crawling

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Rev.
NP435A (Dodge, GM) 4.56 2.28 1.31 1.00 5.64
NP435L (Ford, Dodge, GM) 6.68 3.34 1.66 1.0 8.26

I cannot imagine those gear ratios other than heavy loads or rock crawling

Wow! I ran across an a833 last night. Would those hold up to towing?

And there ya go again. The only thing you've had to say so far that's been any help is the 5speed comment. Telling someone "I think your going in the wrong direction" is not going to help them. Research is showing that the first gen fuel injection system is next to worthless. You believe otherwise. Problem is, you haven't bothered to say why. Instead you chose the route of a holier than thou attitude. Don't call bs if you can't handle someone calling you on yours....

Now, if you have helpful information it is greatly appreciated.

I think hotlines is trying to defend the TBI system, as its quite reliable and if everything is working good will yield the same or better mileage then a 4 barrel. the only reason to remove it is because you don't understand it.

first off let me say with a granny 4 speed and 4:11 gears your always going to get lower MPG then most of that era 1/2 tons with 2.7 gears and 3 speed auto/overdrive but lets see if you can get to the bottom of it...

so what have to done to the actual fuel management system TBI system to help with fuel economy?

have you done the basic tuneup recently (plugs wires, brass contact cap/rotor button and fuel filter?)

when you look down the throttle body at idle (750 RPM) is the injectors spraying or dripping?

have you replaced the coolant temperature sensor with every tuneup ($15 value) it needs replaced for the system to be accurate

do you have a check engine light code seen on the right side of the dash?

I would be surprised if you see a huge improvement with anything you do. I own 2, 3/4 ton Dodge trucks, both average around 10-11 on the highway.
If I drive my '02 with the Hemi like I have an egg between my foot and the pedal I might get 12 on a good day.

As soon as I load them up it's out the window. It drops to about 7-8 pulling a heavy load.

I think hotlines is trying to defend the TBI system, as its quite reliable and if everything is working good will yield the same or better mileage then a 4 barrel. the only reason to remove it is because you don't understand it.

first off let me say with a granny 4 speed and 4:11 gears your always going to get lower MPG then most of that era 1/2 tons with 2.7 gears and 3 speed auto/overdrive but lets see if you can get to the bottom of it...

so what have to done to the actual fuel management system TBI system to help with fuel economy?

have you done the basic tuneup recently (plugs wires, brass contact cap/rotor button and fuel filter?)

when you look down the throttle body at idle (750 RPM) is the injectors spraying or dripping?

have you replaced the coolant temperature sensor with every tuneup ($15 value) it needs replaced for the system to be accurate

do you have a check engine light code seen on the right side of the dash?

I don't understand it. Plain and simple. I grew up with carburetors, Waylon Jennings and bonanza. Lol this is coming from a 25yo. Temp switch has been replaced. O2 sensors have been replaced, vacuum lines replaced, injectors spray good, full tune up done (including filters),

No check engine codes

I don't understand it. Plain and simple. I grew up with carburetors, Waylon Jennings and bonanza. Lol this is coming from a 25yo. Temp switch has been replaced. O2 sensors have been replaced, vacuum lines replaced, injectors spray good, full tune up done (including filters),

No check engine codes

put a carburator on it then, done deal; you won't see much gain, your truck is made for heavy duty work and a granny 4 speed isn't made for milage, neither are 4:11 gears

put a carburator on it then, done deal; you won't see much gain, your truck is made for heavy duty work and a granny 4 speed isn't made for milage, neither are 4:11 gears

A little gain is better than no gain. I'm at my wits end with this thing. I just don't know what else to do.

You have a 10 bolt rear end and there are gears out in your area. 3.54, 3.21 or 3.73. Here is one place that has some of the ratios.

http://www.tradecenterauto.com/

Will look at it on Eris computer. Not sure what I did wrong on my phone, but search turned up no results. I haven't counted the diff bolts lol never thought about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back