4 Spd driveshaft

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I need to know the exact length of the drive shaft for a 67 Barracuda with a 4 spd cast iron OD and a 8 3/4 rear. I have a used drive shaft thats going to be cut and balanced and want to get it right the first time. How is the measurement made, from the center of the universal joints? Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to get all the parts together for this spring.:-D

It has been forever since I needed this so this is an educated guess. Assuming you have it all in the car I believe that the driveshaft shop is looking for the center point of the universal bearing front to the centerpoint of the universal bearing back. I would just call the shop and make sure you and they argree on what measurement they are expecting to recieve. This is the kind of thing where you only look stupid walking back into the shop with a shaft that they have already worked on and is the wrong lenght.

Talked to drive shaft shp and they want 2 measurements 1st is with the car on the suspension and the shaft 3/4 " out from bottoming. The second is with the car off the ground and the frame on jackstands (full extension) and again the trans yoke 3/4 out from bottoming. But man it's cold in that garage!! Hoping for a few warm days. Thanks for the reply. I have a used bent driveshaft that I will cut and mount the 2 ends to the trans and yoke for the fitting. It should be around 48.6 to 48.8...

Robbie,
I just had to measure mine for a drive shaft and it measured 49 1/8" from center of cap to center of cap. Thats with the car on the ground. My drive shaft should be done in a couple of days, I'll let you know how it fits.

Thanks, waiting for it to warm up a little, I'll crawl under the car and get the first measurement, then get it on jackstands and go for the second.

When I put the 4-speed in my Duster, I only had to swap to the larger 727 size yoke...otherwise the same shaft as the A-904 fit perfectly for me. The '70 service manual is showing it as 49.27" centerline to center line on the u-joint bores

When I put the 4-speed in my Duster, I only had to swap to the larger 727 size yoke...otherwise the same shaft as the A-904 fit perfectly for me. The '70 service manual is showing it as 49.27" centerline to center line on the u-joint bores

Should be right at 49"

I think the FSM for my Demon, same wheelbase, with a 4 speed and 8.75 is about 48.99"

I got my drive shaft yesterday afternoon. Looks like it fits real well! Trans yoke slides out about 7/8" when installed. So based on that it looks to me like 49" to 49.250" should be OK for a 4 speed 8 3/4 d/shaft in your Barracuda.

-
Back