4 speed conversion

-

tet68

Reaction score
was going great until the piece around the shaft going thru the bell housing proved too large is this the infafmous bearing held to case by 4 nuts if I take it off is the case drilled to accept a smaller one or do I need another bell housing

Yes and yes. Measure the bearing retainer and measure the bell. What are the measurements on each.

The bell can be machined to fit the retainer. There are also smaller (adapter) retainers, but not all will work with all transes.

Measure what you have and let us know.

Best

CE

the bell is 4 1/2 cant get a real accuarate measurement on retainer bearing but about 5 1/2

Okay, if you have the 5.125 retainer you should have the 833 overdrive or O/D transmission. You cant put a smaller bearing retainer on the O/D trans if I remember correctly.

Best bet is to find an O/D bell housing. Someone here will have one.

Second, i believe you can machine your bell to fit your trans. Someone here will confirm that.

Or you can find yourself a standard 833 trans with the appropriate bearing retainer. It will be either a 4.805 dia or a 4.354 diameter. You'll have to figure out exactly which bell you have.

Measure the bell again. It should be either a 4.354" or 4.805"

If it's a 4.354" you can machine the bellhousing out to 4.805" and run this bearing retainer https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4529696. If it's 4.805" you can just run that bearing retainer. Either that or you need to find a new bellhousing.

The 4.354" retainer bellhousings can't be opened up all the way out to 5.125", 4.805" is as far as they'll go. Likewise, you can't put a bearing retainer with an outer diameter of 4.354" on an OD or later 308 input bearing transmission because the bolt circle for the bearing retainer is 4.16" on those, the transmissions that original had 4.354" diameter bearing retainers had a 307 bearing and a 3.7" bolt pattern. If you have a 5.125" bearing retainer on there now you have the 4.16" bolt circle.

What blu said.
And if you machine out the bell opening, I can almost bet you will have trouble with centering the tranny to the crank. I highly recommend swapping the bell to fit the tranny, or swapping the tranny to fit your bell. And if you have a cam in the engine, I vote replace the OD tranny. And the reason is, that the OD tranny requires an engine with a wide torque-band, and the faster it spins with a tight LSA cam, the more this becomes apparent. They work great on a stock 318, not bad on a stock 360.
In any case you will need to align the tranny to the crank, so that they are on the same centerline.

Last edited:
Measure the bell again. It should be either a 4.354" or 4.805"

If it's a 4.354" you can machine the bellhousing out to 4.805" and run this bearing retainer https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4529696. If it's 4.805" you can just run that bearing retainer. Either that or you need to find a new bellhousing.

The 4.354" retainer bellhousings can't be opened up all the way out to 5.125", 4.805" is as far as they'll go. Likewise, you can't put a bearing retainer with an outer diameter of 4.354" on an OD or later 308 input bearing transmission because the bolt circle for the bearing retainer is 4.16" on those, the transmissions that original had 4.354" diameter bearing retainers had a 307 bearing and a 3.7" bolt pattern. If you have a 5.125" bearing retainer on there now you have the 4.16" bolt circle.

Blu I didn't think the 4.805 retainer worked on the O/D trans. Am I mistaken?

Blu I didn't think the 4.805 retainer worked on the O/D trans. Am I mistaken?

There are two 4.805" retainers. One has the 3.7" bolt pattern and one has the 4.16" bolt pattern. The one with 4.16" pattern bolts right up to the OD transmissions, that's how you can put one behind a big block because they never made a BB bellhousing with 5.125" retainer opening. The later 833's had 308 bearings just like the OD's.

There are two 4.805" retainers. One has the 3.7" bolt pattern and one has the 4.16" bolt pattern. The one with 4.16" pattern bolts right up to the OD transmissions, that's how you can put one behind a big block because they never made a BB bellhousing with 5.125" retainer opening. The later 833's had 308 bearings just like the OD's.

Cool. Learn sumthin' every day!

-
Back