4 speed getting stuck in 2nd gear outside of car

-

racerkilla

Reaction score
I just rebuilt my e body 4 speed. New bearings, cluster pin, new snychro assemblies(new drum, keys, springs and outer slider). I have trans all together and all seems to be good other then 2nd gear gear seems to get hung up or stuck. It has a interlock style case and I have tried two different side covers and 2 sets of forks and all of it does the same. It seems like its trying to over travel and almost allows keys to go to far. Not really sure what to do because I know its gonna get stuck in gear if I put it in my car.

I had one do that.

I adjusted the rods / shifter per the FSM to start with.

I then moved the rod in & out (forward & back) noting the turns away from the 'correct' shifter adjustment each time.

Within a few tries I found a 'sweet spot' that worked with no further problems.

The tranny was getting locked in 2nd on the bench with no shifter or rods on it at all. I was moving the lever with and adjustable wrench.. I could see it was trying to push the 3 selector tabs a bit to far.

I put gear oil in it last night and just kept working it. I finally got it to pull out of gear with no issues. I moved it in and out of gear on the bench for about an hour while rotating the shaft etc. I installed it today and works flawless. Not one grind high rpm or downshifting. No noises in it. My 73 is back to numbers matching

last2.png

Doing it on the bench with no shifter may have been the issue

You need to turn the output shaft sometimes to get it in gear while its sitting still and has no parts moving in the trans from the clutch.

When the clutch is out and the engine idling the input, cluster and main shaft are all turning.

Doing it on the bench with no shifter may have been the issue

You need to turn the output shaft sometimes to get it in gear while its sitting still and has no parts moving in the trans from the clutch.

When the clutch is out and the engine idling the input, cluster and main shaft are all turning.

I would agree. I own 13 or so 4/5/6 speed cars and have been through almost every trans in some way. This is the first one that ever that did this. The interlock system should keep it from over throwing. A good known cover and forks did the same. This was the first time with brand new full snychro assemblies.

I think maybe the 2nd gear snychro ring had to seat/wear some onto 2nd gear cone. As you move the slider the 3 tabs push with the outside slider, contact the brass ring which forces onto 2nd gear slowing it down. Then the outside slider continues to push to engage the gear and the tabs come out the back some. If the ring was back even that 1/16 of and inch was just enough to over push the 3 selector tabs that much further. If you take an 833 with no side cover off and select 2nd gear there is nothing stopping it and will allow the tabs to almost come out. Same way 833 od will do it on 4th

This happens when the back bearing is the wrong width.Did you change it? The A833 has a unique rear bearing; it is thicker than the standard one with the same PN. It has a special suffix to indicate that. And the last time I bought one,it cost triple what the standard one did.
What can happen is; the m/s moves rearward on the 1-2 shift, allowing the struts to pop out. If the brass ring on first sits a little low on the cone, then it can rotate out of sync with the struts, and that locks it into second.If you continue to rotate them with downshift pressure, then eventually the brass may lock onto first gear and rotate into position for the struts to re-engage. But usually the struts pop out and it's game-over.
But if it continues to work in the car, don't lose sleep over it.
Unless you changed that back bearing.
But what's the worst that can happen; you can still drive home at 60 mph with 3.55s, at the top of second,lol.

I love your car

-
Back