$400 Aluminum Heads Or Not?

-

Dustman73

Reaction score
I have a 69 318 block that I am rebuilding, there is a guy that I know that will sell me some Mopar performance heads ready to go with valves and high performance springs for $400.. My question is should I jump on these heads or work the heads that came with the 318.. If I rework the stock ones I know I can spend about $400 just in machining.. Another option is 302 heads.. What do you guys think I should do? :angry3:

If it helps, I have Eddy 60779 Aluminum closed chamber 63cc heads on my 340.

I have a 69 318 block that I am rebuilding, there is a guy that I know that will sell me some Mopar performance heads ready to go with valves and high performance springs for $400.. My question is should I jump on these heads or work the heads that came with the 318.. If I rework the stock ones I know I can spend about $400 just in machining.. Another option is 302 heads.. What do you guys think I should do? :angry3:

What heads are they?

well what I have learned is when building my car is" You get what you pay for" make sure you know this guy. Dont get me wrong, some are legit, but when it comes to Mopar stuff, there are people that will jump at the chance to screw you for easy money. Hope the build goes well

that is an awesome price... find out what kind of heads they are, and what condition as far as how long they were run, etc.

I have bought parts off of him before and have had no problems..he's a cool guy.. its local and they just wanna get rid of parts he's had laying around.. I am not sure of the casting number on the heads.. they have 2.02 intake valves exhaust I cannot remember..

that price is about 1/3 of the normal price for a pair of assembled heads. :D

if they are new in box even better. if they are used they may have cracks hard to see with just your eyes, and need to be checked at a machine shop.

but brands like RHS, Mopar Performance, Edelbrock etc all can work for you and at that price it's a steal... unless they are heavily used or cracked or milled too much or something like that

Price alone scares me. If they are edelbrocks for instance and in good usable cond. they are worth $1000 easily. Lets see, sell my heads for $400 or $1000? Seems fishy to me. If they are fine the question in general confuses me. Id be beating the guys door down w the cash. $400 for aluminum heads is unheard of unless they are messed up.

Yeah this Guy sells his stuff cheap to me.. he told me for 800 he'll throw in a 340 block already machined and 2 cranks with rods and pistons.. I just don't have the money for it..he basically buys stuff and once he uses it for a while and after he's had his fun with the stuff its worthless to him.. so yeah haha he's just a cheap dude to buy from haha

Yeah this Guy sells his stuff cheap to me.. he told me for 800 he'll throw in a 340 block already machined and 2 cranks with rods and pistons.. I just don't have the money for it..he basically buys stuff and once he uses it for a while and after he's had his fun with the stuff its worthless to him.. so yeah haha he's just a cheap dude to buy from haha

Buy them and you can turn a quick buck.

I with swinger340 thats dame cheap I would tell him if he let me have them checked out first and if there good I would give him 50 more ,make sure they fit your stuff...la or magnum

buy them and I will buy them from you :) (I am serious as long as they are in good condition)

I know! Hahaha I've already gotten a couple of pm's haha sorry guys.. they aren't for sale at this time haha I did some thinking and I am most likely getting the 340 as well.. I figure ill never find another deal like this haha

If you have dealt with him before i would buy em..i found a perfectly good set of AFR aluminum heads for SBC no valves or springs in a junkyard last year offered the guy $200 went home and cleaned and polished them sold them for $800..

yeah mannnnnnn there are people that would give anything for a deal like that for aluminum heads lol. and if you have not spent any money into the 318 yet grab that 340 too!. cranks rods pistons block machined. sheesh.

your money is better off on that setup than the 318. might take longer a year or whatever, but you can just drive the 318 for now until you get the 340 finished

I know! Hahaha I've already gotten a couple of pm's haha sorry guys.. they aren't for sale at this time haha I did some thinking and I am most likely getting the 340 as well.. I figure ill never find another deal like this haha

Dang, and I was the first one to post I would buy them from you. LOL Glad your going to get the block and build a nice engine. Keep us updated on how it's going.

But if you change your mind again, remember who posted they would buy them first. LOL

Jack

What I will do is build the 318 and the 340.. I will just try to find some 302 heads for the 318 and build the 340 with the heads.. I have a 69 satellite that Im throwing the 318 into, the duster is what the 340 will go in :) it wont be this year but I hope to maybe have it in within a couple years.. And I wont forget who wanted this stuff in case it is up for sale someday haha

Well I bought the heads today :) P4532900 is the part number on the heads.. most things I look up say they are magnum heads but they don't have ten valve cover bolts.. they are definitely LA heads though.. ill try to post a pic.. the guy also threw in some mopar rockers for free! :)

-
Back