400 big block + my 71 Demon

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Well got a friend that has a 400 long block out of a mid 70's Newport, I offered to trade him $500 cash and my Mustang rolling chassis (minus a few things) it has lower miles, no trans (but I have one) Thermoquad 4bbl, A/C, and all accessories on it

The deal is done I'm going to own the motor... BUT what's involved with putting a BB in a A body? I have heard/read on here headers are about the hardest part- I could make them sure but what off the shelve parts work for the swap?

My Demon is a base car- no power options and fenderwell headers are not an option...

there are basically 2 paths. one route you buy a whole front end system (expensive, but has many benefits... less weight, coil overs, rack n pinion, etc.) gonna cost you ~$3500 and then another $700+ for headers. Hemidenny (on this site) makes kmember kits for members. there are retail brands as well.

other route you go to schumacher's site and there are instructions and fairly inexpensive stuff to modify your current kmember. follow the instructions carefully and you are golden. a lot less money but has less benefits other than being able to jam your BB in there.

the only expensive part in the second option are the headers. schumy headers are ~$700 for the coated ones, TTI's are better but cost more.

if you choose to make your engine a 451 (forged 440 crank + machine work + pistons) you would absolutely want the TTI headers. and probably aluminum heads. if you are just dropping it in and going with the engine the way it is, the schumy's are sufficient.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/ <<< schumacher's site

I have 440 TTI 1 7/8" headers in my 1971 Demon and only had to massage the inner passenger side fender well a little. As with all massages... it didn't last long enough. lol Slipped right in with 727 and headers attached. I do have a tubular k-frame also.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,401
I bought my tubular K-frame at a swap meet for $600. New Pinto style rack & pinion for $150. Steering linkage from RMS was $175. I still need to buy coil-over springs for the front, $400+. Not cheap but should ride better.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 360
I see I plan on using a stock K for now as QA1 hasn't released their tubular one yet (same as CAP one..)..

I want to run stock front suspension, and Schumacher swap mounts, I'm not liking the Schumacher headers though.. I don't like how they don't go all the way back like a typical header. what primary/collector diameter's are they? Since their site don't say?

It likely don't matter as it will be a milder setup (9:1 with cleaned up/milled heads) with 3.23 8 3/4 and a 275/60 Nitto drag radial (28/11.50)

Funny part is Schumacher says their tri Y headers fit A, B, and E body cars..

I am running a reman mini starter from a newer 318 jeep (fits all the newer trucks) so I have starter clearance

-
Back