400b or 440rb

-

056 kid

Reaction score
I was bored and decided to snoop around at the local junk yard. I went to the dodge truck section and found what I believe is a 400b and a 440rb in a 1977 d200 and a d100. The 400 was a stocker from the d200 and the 440 was put in. Which if not both of these motors would be worth buying? I read somewhere the 400 is a stronger block than the 440, but the 440 is no slouch LOL.
I called the yard after I got home and asked if they had any 440s, the guy said no so I guess he dosent know he has it. I asked him how much one would go for & he said the last food one he sold for about 400.00.
The 400 is disconnected from the tranny, mounts, no carb etc. the 440 is complete minus distributor. It has a performer 440 intake with edelbrock carb so I assume someone rebuilt it somewhere along the line. The only ID I found on the 440 was 3769103 on the passenger side exhaust manifold. The oil looked good although any metal would be on the bottom.
How can I get an idea of the shape of these motors? Drop the oil pan and look/feel for damage? What about cracks? Is it just a gamble? Where do I need to scrape to find out what everything is?

Thanks.

look on the side of the 400 block and see if the cast in numbers end in 230, don't count the -# after it. that is the best 400 block. on the 440 see if he'll sale the tranny with it for that money.

What would be a reasonable price for the 400, under the assumption that it is in need of repair?

i got the casting number, 4006530-400 11.

the block also had 1X on the passenger side front. .

So should I try & get it say for 100 or 125.00?

People dont talk much around here, with an exception for smart mouthing. .

I do appreciate the help I have received thus far, thanks.

Ted.

If you're getting it from a yard, see if they will run it before you buy it for that price. If not, or it'sa u-pick it deal, I'd see if they'd take less. You can bet if they dont know the 440 is a 440 now, they will before you get it.

230 block is a heavier block with the cold weather option. Should only matter to you if you are building over 750 hp.
I say go with the 440 because it is complete, but don't assume it was rebuilt just because of a carb and manifold.
Check the dipstick and see if it looks like oil with a good color. smell it to make sure it does not smell like gas. if it is a chocolate milk color, walk away from it. Look at the bottom of the radiator cap to see if there is any oil residue. Look at the color of the coolant to see if it is rusty or a good antifreeze color. Those are things you should do when looking at any motor. If you can start it or not.
The 400 would be suspect because you do not know if it took water thru the manifold. The above tests may not reveal it unless it was significant. But you could pull the plugs and take a swipe to see if you come up with water. I took 8 plugs out of a small block chevy and was very impressed with the color of 7 ofthe plugs, until I got to a rear cylinder and got water pouring out.
Good luck.

The oil in both of them looked pretty good although some gas was detected in the 400. I'd really like to pick up both engines! I just don't want to pay too much, or even worse find that one or both are boat anchors!

I think I will check the plugs, stick a magnet in the oil pan, maybe try and turn them over. Im sure I wont be hearing either of them run before I purchase them though. Like I said, the guy didn't,(dosent) know he has the 440 and might not know about the 400 either.
Thanks,Ted.

You might want to look on Craigs List. I dont know about where you are but lately around here I've seen both 400's and 440's going for short money.

Ted

If a engine still has antifreeze in it and (not plain water) they are most of the time good, as far as cracking from the cold.
If it turns over and there is oil in it and it looks like nobody messed with it, then it's a pretty good chance the engine is fine.
You could always try to get the lowest price on the 400 and then offer to buy both engines at en even lower price.
If the yard says yes to $100 for the 400 then possibly they will say yes to $150 for both engines.

If a engine still has antifreeze in it and (not plain water) they are most of the time good, as far as cracking from the cold.
If it turns over and there is oil in it and it looks like nobody messed with it, then it's a pretty good chance the engine is fine.
You could always try to get the lowest price on the 400 and then offer to buy both engines at en even lower price.
If the yard says yes to $100 for the 400 then possibly they will say yes to $150 for both engines.

Great idea!! Snag em both and you may recoup some of that $$ selling the parts U dont need.

-
Back