402, IM NEW TO THIS! help please :)

-

flyboy4595

Reaction score
Hey so im buying myself a 1974 duster! and i am planning on putting a chevy 402 big block into it. can i use the old 3 speed trany? any how hard will the conversion be?

Welcome to FABO.Trust me,that's not the kind of question that works around here.I can't help you,hang in there and see what happens.8)

ha yeah :S idk where to see ill just talk to some family mechanics and see what they say!

Get ready for some serious flak. Putting a Chevy engine in a Mopar is like... well... Let me just say it's awful enough to not need a simile to describe it, LOL!

haha. im all for running what you have, but if you dont have the car yet, go buy a nova.

Hey so im buying myself a 1974 duster! and i am planning on putting a chevy 402 big block into it. can i use the old 3 speed trany? any how hard will the conversion be?

Sure shouldn't be a problem if your old trany is a 727, even the 904 should bolt right up with a slight modification to the sprag and make sure you get the torque converter meant for the 402. Just a observation though, why stop at the 402, why not go for a 454 as their bottom ends are much stronger that the 402 and can easily survive at 7000 plus RPM. Make sure you let us know how you make out, I know I'll be wondering.

This is exactly why I joined this site. TO see someone put a foreign motor in a Mopar.

Mainly you'll need to fab up a 'gut catcher' for when the rotating assembly commits suicide and barfs itself through the pan.

Then you'll need good seat belts, cause that mopar is gonna wanna kill you for doing this...

Lets just say you are a mopar guy!

We (Mopar people in general) are a family and we seem to rally to keep the cars on the road.
Some wait years to complete there project
If it were a complete Yenco copy.. or a healthy cHebby H.P crate set up (if there was such a thing? I mean come on this is not a hot rod site its the "premier A body site on the web".) I still would say you are out of your mind.
What are you trying to gain HERE! popularity... just wondering your end game?
Moving into a torsion bar set up? there must be more too this than a odd choice and 3x the work than getting a cHebby body or a Mopar powerplant
Go to a Chevy site and get your advice because here its like your'e me you are going to create a bastard child with my beloved daughter.
What club would you feel most able to attend respectfully,
Be a rebel be a pioneer but as just a cannibal is to EASY and..(I think this has been done before)
Sounds more time consuming than anything and resale will kill it. (my .02) Shoot!
Im still looking for my drive shaft for a 67 Dart post 904 trans and 8 3/4 489
but I wont take a nova stick and whack the ends off and
stab it!
Ill drive the Valiant and wait or order it or Ill build it new.
I don't know if EVEN the cHebby guys would have you!....lonely!

BLAPHESMER !!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO A MOPAR ?!? you could always sell the chevy motor and buy a small block and have no problems with the install . just something to ponder But just out of curousity why not get a nova or something instead of a duster it gets called a nova alot anyways. just my .02 though its a free country but as was stated who could you hang out wit without hearing welll its that darn mopar t-bar stuff or " it's that darn chebby motor in there"

OK- guys he is serious. No mopar trans bolts up to a chevy. You will to mate your 402 to a chevy trans. Since you will to fab your own engine and trans mounts you can choose 4-speed or automatic. If this more of a race car you might want to consider a built turbo 350. If a cruiser, then consider the 700R4. I love my Mopars, but I also own two Nova's, one 434 small block, one 327.

-
Back