408 going in

-
no oil filter adapter here, just use a short K&N.
You have Power steering? if not, you may not have the issues I had.

I had to jack the motor up high to clear the box, steering coupler and gearselector, shaved some of the column where the selector bracket is. I have biscuit mounts, you have spool,right? I use truck mount on driver side,and a Shim on the passenger side.
Passenger side hits the idler arm nut and cotter pin too.
Driver side tube hits the stock v8 torsion bar, and now that I switched to the A500 trans, torsion bar on driver side hit even more, so they are gone now, and HemiDenny coilover for stock steering is now in place.

Here's a sample
2016setup_zpsocjqssii.jpg

Last edited:
no oil filter adapter here, just use a short K&N.

All right - will do.

You have Power steering? if not, you may not have the issues I had.

Oh yes- it is power steer.

I had to jack the motor up high to clear the box, steering coupler and gearselector, shaved some of the column where the selector bracket is. I have biscuit mounts, you have spool,right? I use truck mount on driver side,and a Shim on the passenger side.
Passenger side hits the idler arm nut and cotter pin too.
Driver side tube hits the stock v8 torsion bar, and now that I switched to the A500 trans, torsion bar on driver side hit even more, so they are gone now, and HemiDenny coilover for stock steering is now in place.

Holy smokes! I would say those did not fit. I do use spool mounts. Just did a new set for this block. I actually looked up header threads before I bought these JUST to confirm that they fit. It looked like there were plenty of happy installers. Now this. Whoa! Well I am in waist deep now. I will tell you how it goes as I bust some knuckles.

Like Fred said, every car is different. A lot of the B body guys said they were hitting in places too. I just installed mine and they fit like a charm. Didn't even have to loosen an engine mount to slide them in. I did, however, have trouble getting the correct parts when I ordered them. But that was Mancinis fault, not TTI. Mancini forgot to give instructions to weld in the bung before it went off to get ceramic coating, then they sent 2.5" collectors instead of 3", then I called Mancini to see when they were shipping because I was leaving town for a week. They said they weren't ready yet but then they showed up and sat on my front porch for a week in the rain. Not a good place to leave a $1000 pair of headers. TTI was more than great. I would only deal with them directly.

chargd72,we're discussing the 1-7/8 tube, 3.5 collector headers. I previously had the step headers and they were a non issue.

chargd72,we're discussing the 1-7/8 tube, 3.5 collector headers. I previously had the step headers and they were a non issue.

Yes, these are the ones I have that fit great. The primaries are non stepped 1 7/8" and the collector on the header is 3.5". The extension reduces down to 3".

power steering?, biscuit or spool mount?

pictures too are great

I've had the TTi headers in a stock front end and with the HDK front end. The stock front end had the engine too far to the driver's side. The header tube hit the frame, steering linkages rubbed on the passenger side, torsion bars both hit, it was a cluster and I bought it that way. I dented the tube for the passenger side torsion bar, rotated the engine to clear steering linkages, and actually had to notch the frame on the driver's side for a tube. But I never could get the driver's side torsion bar to stop rubbing. Did they fit good? Not even close. It was only later that I realized when I switched to the HDK that the motor was now more to the passenger side and the headers cleared the frame pretty easy. I have a feeling that's where the engine should have been to begin with. For some reason the stock K and/or motor mount locations were of forcing the engine to the driver's side. I was tired of fighting the problems and switched front ends. Mostly just because the stock front end was scary to me. But now all I have to do is raise the front of the car and drop the headers out. Takes about 15 minutes. Most people don't have that many issues with TTi. There's only a small percentage of us that have really had fitment issues with them.

I looked at my clearance today with my staff (car is in the shop garage) and we all grew pretty concerned for me! It looks close, but no more than Charged72 above. I may take a shot at it this weekend if gaskets & Stage 8 locking fasteners show up. At the least I will hang them in place one way or an other.

I got the drivers side header in, but have not bolted it up. It is tight. Currently hitting the steering box but I have not bolted it up. I let the engine down after sitting the header in place and the header will only move about 1/8 inch in any direction. So... I will lift it up again then try bolting it up and see if that gives me the room I want once its back on the mounts.

Okay, so I mocked up both sides. Passenger side is fine. No changes needed...
HeaderFitPass.JPG

Drivers side looks to just have slight contact at the steering box/housing. I see large bolts on the box mount... Do you think I can move the steering box over 1/8"? Is there any wiggle room? Or do I need to dimple the header?

HeaderFitDrivers.JPG

They clear everywhere else. Good at the trans, good at the steering linkage, good at the oil pan & "shorty" K&N filter!

Last edited:
What spark plugs are you gonna run?

So the Edelbrock head wants a RC12YC so that is what I ordered. Then I took a look at my previous 360 (that served me well for years & years) and noted my Autolite 65's. They were great plugs. So I sent the Champions back & got the Autolite Racing equivalent AR3924.

I have had god luck with NGK's in the past but my Mopar experience is generally Champion & Autolite. One of my dearly departed 'ol Mopar pals always liked the Autolite because he said "they put up with the abuse" of his circle track racing best when he campaigned his Mopar.

Alright. I finished the header install (was delayed while attending the SEMA show last week). The big 1&7/8 TTi's did fit with minor contact that needed to be corrected at the power steering housing/drivers side. They went in pretty easily for a test fit, but the Stage 8 bolts I ordered for final assembly were a little tight to work with up against the header as I did final install. Anyhow I loosened the power steering housing on its mounts & found it would move a little bit... But once I would torque it back down it would go right back to square one. So I measured the engine location & found that I could tweak the drivers mount (spool) just enough (1/4 inch) that the header tube that was making contact (one tube in from the back on drivers side) would clear nicely. Really the rest of the tubes (both sides) were a good fit ~ with only that one tube being a bit*h.

My previous exhaust (that I liked) is just not going to suit the 408 so I am going full 3" with a cut out system off the TTi headers then into a pair of Hooker Aeroflows.

Might have it wrapped up soon, or maybe just before the holidays. Ho ho.

Put the "mini" Powermaster starter in today & rerouted the shifter cable to suit the new TTi set. It is all going pretty well really.

I don't care whose name is on the box...if you are using an 1 7/8 (1.875) header it's going to be TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.

There is just no way around it.

Chugging away at detail bits... Got the wrong 4 row radiator from Champion so had to take a short break until the new one comes in. So i pulled out the new Holley HP and started to assemble all of that. Got to the nitrous plate & found one of my jets were missing from the old configuration. I have an 82 (NOS) jet but no fuel jet. So I figure that is okay anyhow as I am going to start with a small hit and the 82 jet in any configuration would not be small.
408Plate.JPG
408Holley.JPG

408gettingTher.JPG

Last edited:
Chugging away at detail bits... Got the wrong 4 row radiator from Champion so had to take a short break until the new one comes in. So i pulled out the new Holley HP and started to assemble all of that. Got to the nitrous plate & found one of my jets were missing from the old configuration. I have an 82 (NOS) jet but no fuel jet. So I figure that is okay anyhow as I am going to start with a small hit and the 82 jet in any configuration would not be small. View attachment 1714996142 View attachment 1714996143

View attachment 1714996144
have you had this thing dyno

-
Back