426 hemi crate engine

• Thread starter Deleted member 36901
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 36901

What is safe RPM to take 426 crate engines too. cast iron heads solid flat tappet cam stock rockers

Staying safe, no more than 6k maybe 6500

when it stops pullin no need to rev it past it's peak power .

it's an expensive engine no need to hurt it 6500 would be my high point .
That's what I'm saying ha-ha don't need to be hurting it don't plan on shifting at 6200 everyday just if I take it out to the track on a Friday in a great while

It will pull more just didn't know if it was too high and unsafe

Another way to look at this is it's "safe" 500 rpm past the point it stops pulling with authority, or as they say "when it lays down"

Why not do it right? You have the money, you spent enough on that great engine. Have it dynoed and generate a curve. Then plug in the curves that would be equivalent to the transmission ratios. You shift where either torque or HP crosses in the various gears

You can also do that with the various in-car performance monitors, you can do this from torque, acceleration (g's)

Here is a random example. You don't need to RUN the car in each gear, you just need a good clean curve in a known gear usually "straight through." Then you can plot the curves multiplied by the ratio of the gearing

12bolt-ShiftPoints.jpg

I've been shifting at 6200 so I wanted some opinions on rpm
A little of it depends on ur gearing. I shifted my s/s type engines at 6200 too. Lasted 14 yrs, w/ a few minor problems. Was sold completely worn out.

How can you give a max safe RPM with no pertinent information? Who's crate engine? What solid flat tappet cam? What valves and valve springs? What engine internals? No dyno sheet? Let's all just keep guessing! After all, it isn't your engine!

How can you give a max safe RPM with no pertinent information? Who's crate engine? What solid flat tappet cam? What valves and valve springs? What engine internals? No dyno sheet? Let's all just keep guessing! After all, it isn't your engine!

X3!

It's a Mopar 426 crate engine. Cast heads stainless valves 2.25 intake 1.94 exhaust . stock rockers it's a 9.1 motor Mopar dual plane intake forged crank and rods as well as pistons has a ray Barton solid lifter flat tappet cam that ray had bullet racing cams grind

It's a Mopar 426 crate engine. Cast heads stainless valves 2.25 intake 1.94 exhaust . stock rockers it's a 9.1 motor Mopar dual plane intake forged crank and rods as well as pistons has a ray Barton solid lifter flat tappet cam that ray had bullet racing cams grind

1505332975691-1105948893.jpg

What is safe RPM to take 426 crate engines too. cast iron heads solid flat tappet cam stock rockers

The problem is that Mopar Performance had severe quality control issues with those crate engines. The last one I worked on was eating itself up internally even though it was brand new. The bore clearance was wrong, the pushrods were rubbing on the head gaskets, the ring gap wasn't set properly, etc.

If your engine is running good and there is no trash in the oil, lash is holding steady, plugs look clean, leak down is fine, compression is fine, etc. then let it eat. But personally I wouldn't trust one of those engines unless I had pulled it down and gone over it myself. The ones I've seen all had major internal problems.

The problem is that Mopar Performance had severe quality control issues with those crate engines. The last one I worked on was eating itself up internally even though it was brand new. The bore clearance was wrong, the pushrods were rubbing on the head gaskets, the ring gap wasn't set properly, etc.

If your engine is running good and there is no trash in the oil, lash is holding steady, plugs look clean, leak down is fine, compression is fine, etc. then let it eat. But personally I wouldn't trust one of those engines unless I had pulled it down and gone over it myself. The ones I've seen all had major internal problems.
That's why it has a different cam in it the hydraulic lifters wouldn't hold oil pressure so I changed cam and lifters and the cam bearings looked scary so ended up changing them to

I've heard allot of bad about them so I was just asking what everyone's opinion was on safe rpm

-I had that combo or close at one time on two diff street hemi engines, 6000 on both.

Yep, as the 'mopar misfit' says, I see no reason to wind this past 6,000 rpm.

-
Back