42rh prices

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I had planned on doing a 2004r swap but after realizing no pick n pull had a core, I decided to go with the 42rh (A500). Now what I am finding is these places think they are made of gold.

One yard quoted me $750 for a trans that has over 200k miles, another quoted me $350 for the same mileage. I was expecting $150-250 max. They both said because it is a truck transmission it is going to cost more. I don't get it and am a little disappointed. :(

The one I got had about 90k on it and came out of a front end crashed truck.
I paid $125 for the guaranteed working condition trans, converter and rear yoke out of the U pick it.

The one I got had about 90k on it and came out of a front end crashed truck.
I paid $125 for the guaranteed working condition trans, converter and rear yoke out of the U pick it.

I don't understand why the prices differ so much. From my research most are getting these pretty cheap. They are saying it is guaranteed because the truck drove in, but with 200k miles, I'm sure it is gonna need a rebuild, unless I get luck and someone has already been in there. Either way, even at $300 I think that is high.

I found a few thrashed Dakotas on craigslist, and have emails out to see if they want to part with the trans. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Checked my local CL to see what they go for. There are no used ones, only thing on there was a tranny shop that is offering rebuilts for $800.

Keep trying to get one at your price point . FYI, a lot of wrecking yards pull trannies out to sell to rebuilders . they go by volume and demand . what costs $300 today could cost $150 at a later date .

Keep trying to get one at your price point . FYI, a lot of wrecking yards pull trannies out to sell to rebuilders . they go by volume and demand . what costs $300 today could cost $150 at a later date .

Makes sense, what I am worried about is these drying up around here. I will probably have to go out of state to either CA or Wa.

I don't understand why the prices differ so much. From my research most are getting these pretty cheap. They are saying it is guaranteed because the truck drove in, but with 200k miles, I'm sure it is gonna need a rebuild, unless I get luck and someone has already been in there. Either way, even at $300 I think that is high.

I found a few thrashed Dakotas on craigslist, and have emails out to see if they want to part with the trans. I guess I'll just have to wait.

A lot of it might have to do with the environmental regulations between here or other places and there.

guess it helps knowing someone in the business. Mine was free. Keep looking, sometimes it takes really searching hard. I don't ever see these on CL in my area.

Checked my local CL to see what they go for. There are no used ones, only thing on there was a tranny shop that is offering rebuilts for $800.
There's a shop I'd avoid. At $800.00 there ain't a lot being done to it I'll bet(years in the industry makes one cynical of low ball prices). Of course it depends on his idea of a "rebuilt transmission" is.

There's a shop I'd avoid. At $800.00 there ain't a lot being done to it I'll bet(years in the industry makes one cynical of low ball prices). Of course it depends on his idea of a "rebuilt transmission" is.
Im not purchasing it, I was just trying to give him an idea of pricing in my area. That was the only thing to go by.

Alright folks.

Someone responded to a want ad on CL and claims they have an 42rh from a 92 Dakota that was rebuilt 10 years ago to put into a 72 Dart, but never got around to it and the car got sold.

He has no paperwork of the rebuild and believes it to be rebuilt fairly stock and he can't recall a shift kit or not. He ho hummed around what he wanted for it and came up with $400 with no torque converter (doesn't have it) He did say cash is king though.

I have a few concerns:
1. Cant really verify if it has been rebuilt.
2. Its been sitting inside for 10 years. He says its empty (what would the inside look like after all this time?)

What are all your thoughts? He is 2.5 hours away. What would you offer? I was thinking $250 but I dont know if the inside is thrashed.

Alright folks.

Someone responded to a want ad on CL and claims they have an 42rh from a 92 Dakota that was rebuilt 10 years ago to put into a 72 Dart, but never got around to it and the car got sold.

He has no paperwork of the rebuild and believes it to be rebuilt fairly stock and he can't recall a shift kit or not. He ho hummed around what he wanted for it and came up with $400 with no torque converter (doesn't have it) He did say cash is king though.

I have a few concerns:
1. Cant really verify if it has been rebuilt.
2. Its been sitting inside for 10 years. He says its empty (what would the inside look like after all this time?)

What are all your thoughts? He is 2.5 hours away. What would you offer? I was thinking $250 but I dont know if the inside is thrashed.

Well IMO, I would for sure pull the pan and take a look. The inside should look nice and clean, even after being stored empty. Being that he is that far away. I wouldnt even make the drive (unless you have other reasons to go), with out him agreeing to a price you want to pay. I dont believe $250 is out of line, if its decent. Now if its trashed and you drove all that way. I would offer him $50. Thats a long drive if you dont come back with anything.

Well IMO, I would for sure pull the pan and take a look. The inside should look nice and clean, even after being stored empty. Being that he is that far away. I wouldnt even make the drive (unless you have other reasons to go), with out him agreeing to a price you want to pay. I dont believe $250 is out of line, if its decent. Now if its trashed and you drove all that way. I would offer him $50. Thats a long drive if you dont come back with anything.

Appreciate this response. Assuming it is rebuilt. It being stored that long is OK? I will definately be taking the pan off for sure.

Appreciate this response. Assuming it is rebuilt. It being stored that long is OK? I will definately be taking the pan off for sure.

Im not sure if you are comfortable doing it yourself, but if not you could always check with a local trans shop and try to work a deal with them. See if they will pop it open and look things over.

Im not sure if you are comfortable doing it yourself, but if not you could always check with a local trans shop and try to work a deal with them. See if they will pop it open and look things over.

Well I offered him $250, if it is what he says it is. He must be desperate for money because he said if you can come by this Saturday then he'll go for it. My plan is to head out Friday after work. I feel perfectly fine taking the pan off to look things over, but what else can you really do besides pull the front pump?

Good deal! If you see anything that hints at trouble (splines are damaged, dropped and pan is crushed in, broken tab or something on the case, etc...) make sure you point it out to him. Just make sure its something that you are comfortable buying. If its a total basket case, I'd low ball him even more.

Like you said pull the pan for sure. From what you said above, it sounds like it was rebuilt but never used or had oil put into it. IIf that is the case the filter would be brand new and clean as will the inside of the pan. If it is dirty, that tells you something. Spin the input shaft and output shaft to make sure everything is free inside. Move the shift lever thru the gears to make sure that works. That is really about all you can do

I would not pull the pump while there. If you want to do that, do it when you get home. That is where I suggested having a trans shop look it over if you are not comfortable going thru it. As soon as you pull that pump you will more than likely wreck the gasket and will need a new one anyways. Not to mention the guts will probably shift inside.

Good deal! If you see anything that hints at trouble (splines are damaged, dropped and pan is crushed in, broken tab or something on the case, etc...) make sure you point it out to him. Just make sure its something that you are comfortable buying. If its a total basket case, I'd low ball him even more.

Like you said pull the pan for sure. From what you said above, it sounds like it was rebuilt but never used or had oil put into it. IIf that is the case the filter would be brand new and clean as will the inside of the pan. If it is dirty, that tells you something. Spin the input shaft and output shaft to make sure everything is free inside. Move the shift lever thru the gears to make sure that works. That is really about all you can do

I would not pull the pump while there. If you want to do that, do it when you get home. That is where I suggested having a trans shop look it over if you are not comfortable going thru it. As soon as you pull that pump you will more than likely wreck the gasket and will need a new one anyways. Not to mention the guts will probably shift inside.

Great advice. Thank you. Any disadvantages to the non lock up version?

Great advice. Thank you. Any disadvantages to the non lock up version?
Depends on Your needs, if it's performance You just scored big, because You can't get **** for a serious torque converter stall/wise w/a lock-up on Mopars. Lucky to get a
2800-3200 unit at best,....... non-lockup, the sky's the limit! :thumbsup:
If you're worried about every little mpg, then it's a small penalty, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.............

Depends on Your needs, if it's performance You just scored big, because You can't get **** for a serious torque converter stall/wise w/a lock-up on Mopars. Lucky to get a
2800-3200 unit at best,....... non-lockup, the sky's the limit! :thumbsup:
If you're worried about every little mpg, then it's a small penalty, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.............

Awesome. Not looking for crazy performance. Mainly looking forward to overdrive and steeper gears. MPG, who cares. Lol.

You can check www.car-parts.com for recyclers anywhere in North America. You can tailor your search to your own state, your region, your half of the country, Mexico, ...

Just an update. I went and picked up the trans last night. It spun free, shifted through tje gears and looked brand new inside. He also had some 340 scoops with bezels, they need some paint but all the studs were there.

I offered him $300 for everything and he took wothout hesitation. I would say I scored big!
It was a good trip.

-
Back