42RH rebuild / update options

-

Headintheclouds

Reaction score
I could use some advice on what my best options are for upgrading a 42RH transmission.
It's going to go behind a 318 Poly with Edelbrock four barrel producing about 250HP. I'm looking for smooth changes and reliability rather than raw power handling for burn-outs.

There seem to be several options of differing numbers and angle of planetary gears, stronger and wider brake bands, mods to make pump work in park etc. Also beefing up the overdrive or swapping for a later 46RH overdrive. Is the 5 plate clutch a must-have?

I don't want to overdo it or spend where I don't need to. Just adopt any good modifications that deal with classic weaknesses.

Any suggestions very welcome.

The most classic weakness on any TF is third gear clutch. Anymore, I install thin smooth red eagles in every one that I rebuild; nothing else. The thinner plates allow for an added friction and steel. Along with a kevlar band. Stock forward clutch and reverse band; servos etc. The manual valve is better than a stock one, but the level is still not identical to neutral.

I was with you until the last sentence. Please can you explain manual valve and level not identical to neutral?

The TransGo kit says that their manual valve allows converter charging in Park; but it doesn't allow it fully. Trans will check fuller in Park than Neutral.

Can't recall if it was Sonnax? Somebody made/makes a hollow manual valve w/an internal passage & check ball to feed the converter in park.

THey didn't make 42rh in the seventies...or even in the early eighties.... But anyways, I doubt it is designed to make shifts harder.

I was having a senior moment and getting my seventies and nineties mixed up. The article definitely says 78 and on pressure regulator.. Is this a series or model number and not a date?

Do you think the only difference between this and standard valve is that it allows the converter to fill in park?

This time I actually read the "details" and it def says 78 and newer...weird...But it also says it prevents the forward clutch from dragging in park...and in the details section it does say for 727.

It looks as though this will work with all transmissions from 727 (post 78) to 48RE

I was having a senior moment and getting my seventies and nineties mixed up. The article definitely says 78 and on pressure regulator.. Is this a series or model number and not a date?

Do you think the only difference between this and standard valve is that it allows the converter to fill in park?
That's the one, & yes, it's only function is to keep the converter primed & lubed in park...can't answer off top of My head why later regulator is required.. @VOETOM

-
Back