440 A body-what to expect-Motivation needed!

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been slowly building a 440 A body for the past several years. It is a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport.
It has taken awhile to get to where I am due to life etc. that we all go though.
I did get in an honest 5-6 hours yesterday and I got alot done. I could possibly drive it next month with tags and all.

Here is the build:

8:1 440, Holley SD, 750 Eddy (I know...), Schumacher Kit, some headwork, and a mild cam. I built what I could afford at the time. It has been reringed and so forth.

Transmission has a tf-2 in it, good rebuild and a 3500 stall. Rear gear is 4.10 with a sure-grip.

The car itself has had the bumpers gutted, and subframe connectors welded in. It isn't a bad car actually. I tried to sell it uncompleted here about a year ago.

My past experience with cars has been 5.0's (slow) and a mildly worked 68 Mustang when I was a kid. Both were fun but not exactly wild rides.

So here is my question:

How fast are typical 440 A bodies? I built the car pretty well other than the low-comp engine. The plan is to build a monster once I get the rest of the car sorted out.

What does it feel like to stab the gas with a 440 A body? Is it like my 500CC motocross bike when it actually hooks. It is a rocket:-D

I just need some motivation. The build has taken so long and my life has changed enough that I am not getting things done as easily or quickly as normal. It will get done. I do want to drive it:cheers:

Thanks for your support, hatemail, or whatever.....

ROB

I need to. I haven't been there in quite awhile. There is some log-in issue and I have switched emails so I can't log-in.

The frustrating thing is that I have been a member there since the old board. Maybe Jim Lusk can help me. I will get ahold of him since he is active on both boards.

But yes, it is a good place to go.

ROB

When you stab the throttle of a big block a-body, the stump-pulling torque is sure to put a smile on your face.

...And tuners don't dare look you in the eye.

You will sure know there is a 440 under the hood.

70.JPG

I have been a passenger in a 68 440 Dart shortly after the motor was broke in. I helped him install it so he came by and gave me the cruise of a life time. This was no mild ordinary 440 either. Car was tubbed and caged so I got in shut up and hung on.

That thing was an animal. I'll never forget being sideways at 70 mph because he stabbed it!

Later on he took it to Mission raceway at my insistence. Ran a mid 10 second 1/4 at over 140 mph....

I need to. I haven't been there in quite awhile. There is some log-in issue and I have switched emails so I can't log-in.

The frustrating thing is that I have been a member there since the old board. Maybe Jim Lusk can help me. I will get ahold of him since he is active on both boards.

But yes, it is a good place to go.

ROB

Yes, Jim is still a Moderator on the sight.

The best description I can think of is it's kinda like driving a drop of water on a hot frying pan.

Should be in the 12's right outta the box.......I mean, that's totally respectable in anyone's book. Then you take your time and build your killer motor! I say as long as it scares people, it's acceptable!

Cool. I like the water on a hot frying pan idea!
There is a local guy off of Moparts that says with the manual steering and the /6 bars it could be a handful when stabbed. It also has drag shocks so it should be fun.

Thanks, I really needed that. By the end of next week I should have the transmission assembled, as well as the engine.

I have pretty much everything. Including the break in lubes, exhaust down to the mufflers etc.

I have had quite a few Mopar products and still drive mainly Mopar if you count Jeep that is.

My experience with cars is pretty slim on the driving end. I had a stock (down to the 2-barrel and single exhaust) 318 Duster that I drove. It was fun, but nowhere near what this should be.....

ROB

You´ll have a big smile on your face all day long and probably loose the driving license after a week or so....
A real monster, and IMO not for slow cruise speed :)

I only got a 383cid (slightly warmed over) in my Fastback and it´s a blast to drive. Very hard to keep from WOT...LOL.
Only problem I`ve got, is that its not quite broken in yet.

maj-09 004 - Kopia.JPG

Ive got a Mild 500" in a 71 Dart, full cage, race prepped Dana 60 410 gears, race prepped 727 with tranny break and cal tracks, nothing to fancy but it launches hard and fast, get the front wheels off the ground. Spend the money for a Frank Lupo Dynamic Torque Convertor, he is the best at what he dose adn will custom build for your car adn set up. Deffiently check out Big Block Dart.com

Cool. I like the water on a hot frying pan idea!
There is a local guy off of Moparts that says with the manual steering and the /6 bars it could be a handful when stabbed. It also has drag shocks so it should be fun.

ROB

If /6 bars and manual steering make it bad, there's a LOT of bad cars out there! LOL
I had a '69 Dart w/a 440 6pk that had about 450 hp, 3500 stall, and 4.10's. I never got that car finished enough to take it to the track, but it was the FASTEST street car I've ever driven.
I can't WAIT to finish my 71 Duster clone w/ 408 and 4 spd!

I had a 71 Dart with a 400 stroked out to 451 with a 727 and 4.30 gears. Don't plan on making any turns over 35 MPH and remember you are in charge of the car it's not in charge of you.

Well the funny thing is that I have been a car nut my whole life, however I have spent most of my time and money off the hwy because of the speed issue.

I have this irresistable urge to pin the throttle when driving something fast.
There was a local guy that built a 440 A body. He had about 3 tickets in a week and sold it at a big loss.

I'd like to think that I could control myself. I have no tickets at all and am flirting with 40 years old. That and I can't perform my profession with a felony for exhibition of speed.

It is a concern though.

How many of you have gotten nailed for exhibition of speed type of tickets?

Oh, and as far as me being in control of the car, it is likely the same as riding my kx500. I hammer it hard, but in a straight line and with my whole attention!

ROB

Big Block RB power is exciting stuff. It's not impossible to create an application that has similar horsepower to weight ratio that some WWII
piston driven fighter aircraft did. Be sure to have enough rubber on the
rear to handle the torque and great breaks. The mid to high -rpm torque of my 440 is unreal. Have a great weekend boys!

Cuda meats.jpg

close your eyes and think of your first girl frend remeber how good it felt.well after your first hard pass with a big block Abody stop close your eyes and think which one was better oooomy.

I'd like to think that I could control myself. I have no tickets at all and am flirting with 40 years old. That and I can't perform my profession with a felony for exhibition of speed.

ROB

My driver is a low 12 second 5.0 Mustang. I have 1.4 million miles in a semi. Perfect driving record. You are in control, not vice-versa. I've found that when you drive a fast car all the time, the thrill wears down.
Anyone who gets 3 tickets in a week is not a responsible person, whatsoever. Does this person ever think about the grief he would cause if he ever injured (or God forbid, killed) someone because he was driving like an A-Hole?

I guess he did think about hurting others; he did sell it.

I've got pretty good self-control so I'm not too worried. My pal that was talking about the car getting squirrely was mainly talking about the slow-manual steering and so forth.

Tuesday I will finish the engine and transmission if all goes well.

I would like to get the engine in it by the end of the week.

ROB

Only a stupid person with no self-control would get 3 speeding tickets in a week. Hey, if you want to speed, go out on some back road in the middle of nowhere and do it there with no one around. Or you could take it to the track like a responsible person and flogg it there.

I guess he did think about hurting others; he did sell it.

I've got pretty good self-control so I'm not too worried. My pal that was talking about the car getting squirrely was mainly talking about the slow-manual steering and so forth.

Tuesday I will finish the engine and transmission if all goes well.

I would like to get the engine in it by the end of the week.

ROB

I'm glad he sold it, if he couldn't enjoy it responsibly.

Sounds like you're motivated!

MattQ, that was a great ride! I wish it was a 1/4 mile.

I have been at it about 2 hours a day. The transmission will be done tomorrow, and the engine a bit later this week. Due to time constraints, I am hoping to have it in by the end of next week. Then I can start on the driveshaft etc.

Sometime in August looks good.

Thanks for the input. I thought you deserved an update.

Also, I am going to Portland to the drags this weekend and then the Mopars at Woodburn event so it should give me a dose of motivation!

ROB

This is my second big block A body. My first was back in the early seventies, when I was young. That one was radical. This one is more mild, built for the street. Similar to yours, except for the motor and gearing. I am running a mild 10.2:1 512 qube based on a 440 block. Performer RPM heads, intake and for now, Eddy 800cfm carb. (thinking of converting to E-85). The cam is a Comp Cams 585 hydraulic. 727 with a 3500 stall conv. I am running 3.55 gears in a narrowed 8.75. The car is minitubbed, subframes tied, six cyl torsion bars, etc..

Way too much fun...

-
Back