440 block question on pricing

-

zartan

Reaction score
A guy local to me has a 440 block says it's a 67 non hp. He's taking offers what should I offer him. Block is bare, I haven't seen it. He lives around the corner from work so its not like I'm going out if my way to see it. Thanks

Depending on location, if it is a bare block make sure it has the main caps. Some also depends on the bore and the condition of the lifter bores. If the lifter bores are rusty carefully inspect because they can be an issue. If the block is std bore and has main caps plus looks decent on inspection I'd guess two to three hundred. I'm located in SW Ohio I bought two running 440's one from a truck that was bored .040" complete and another from a motorhome with transmission running for $500 each. One was cast crank other was steel with six pack rods. The trans was the short tailshaft but not a big deal, it was std bore never been touched and that's the one I used for my build. Deals are still out there just got to keep an eye out. Also the hp on a block doesn't mean much to me because it's just a stamp.

A guy local to me has a 440 block says it's a 67 non hp. He's taking offers what should I offer him. Block is bare, I haven't seen it. He lives around the corner from work so its not like I'm going out if my way to see it. Thanks

bare block, no more than 2-3 hundred. I got a complete 440 out of a 73 charger for 200, complete, running in November 2014.......

Been a couple of years since selling one but around my parts, no one wants to give more than a buck fifty!

With no history, a bare block with caps and the rear main seal housing and bolts included I'd go $150. If it has been magged, or is known to be good (like someone you know) they go higher. I might go as high as $350 depending. HPs are worth more but there is no difference in the blocks - just the stampings.

Last one I sold went for $250, the one I still have I was offered $100. It's worth more than that to me, it's still sitting on the bench and will probably continue to sit there until I need it.

Man, and I remember picking em up and giving em away for free. And 383s were even less!

-
Back