440 block what is it worth?

-
73 and up are the thin wall casting, and just not worth that much IMO.

thin wall casting is a MYTH that has been debunked , the later blocks are a softer metal so that may be why mopar spread the myth in their engine book .

it's worth 150 - 200 ...

If it's been magged, $200. If not, $100. And yeah, nothing "thick" or "thin". Just core shifted or not too core shifted.

thin wall casting is a MYTH that has been debunked , the later blocks are a softer metal so that may be why mopar spread the myth in their engine book .

it's worth 150 - 200 ...

Also "Another issue is block weight, or the quantity of cast iron which is actually used in the block. Like the Mopar Action article, we have weighed many blocks and have found later blocks to weigh more, or have more cast iron in them. Since the reasoning behind thin wall blocks is that the factory used this practice in the late 70's to save money on iron (which is a known fact with SB Chevy engines), the fact that later blocks weigh more shows that Chrysler had no intention of using less iron to save money. Which is great news for us racers and performance enthusiasts."

$100 should get it sold quickly, very fairly priced.

Interesting article , never saw or heard that. I was made to understand that it has to do with the nickle content of the cast iron not the iron. It's the nickle that makes cast iron strong.

$100 for a bare block is a fair price. I buy a lot of big block motors and most of them turn out to be junk. Therefore I'm never willing to pay very much for a big block. I won't even consider buying a rusty motor as they are almost always junk. Same with frozen motors, or ones with spun bearings.

It takes a bunch of time to tear down a core motor, tank it, mag it, pressure check, sonic check, etc. Most core motors won't pass all of those tests which means you end up with nothing to show for all the work.

I paid $200 twice for two long blocks with the tranny still bolted up to it....both were 73 blocks with forged cranks and six pack rods...8)

$200 for a long block with forged crank and tranny is a decent price. Odds are that you will only be able to use a few of the parts but at that price a person can usually end up okay. I've bought motors like that several times and ended up with nothing but a set of core heads and a core crank which means I didn't even break even after spending the time to pull everything apart. Forged crank motors were often run hard so it is fairly common to pull them down and find spun bearings or cracked main webs or other internal damage. And forged cranks aren't worth much money because stroker cranks are so much cheaper these days.

-
Back