440 Duster Build, need carb & transmission help

-

71Duster440

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dave, and I am new to this forum.
Here is a little background of my car and build I decided to take on...

I have a 1971 Duster, original Slant 6/904 trans, sbp car.
I decided I had to do a big block in the car, so I went and got a worn out 440 block & 727 trans from a motorhome.
Had the engine completely rebuilt, bored .60 over, forged internal, "X" code block.
I am interested in using a Demon 750 carb, but was told I may have an issue using the transmission cables for the upshift/kickdown cables.
When I bought the transmission, the guy gave me a brand new 2800 stall converter, as well as a complete rebuilt kit to go with it, but I do not have any of the original shift linkage or cables.
My car will be a floorshift car, and I am going to use a Cheetah SCS shifter, which can be found here:
http://turboaction.com/frame.html

My question is, will this set-up? and what other components will I need to complete this motor/trans set-up?

I still need to upgrade the rear end and drive-line, and several other components, but this is the battle I'm currently trying to figure out.

I work in Bremerton,WA with the President of the All Around Mopars/Mopar Magic car club, and the members of the club told me turn to you guys for an answer. Thank you for your time!

go to the holey web site and find the adaptor the bolts to the holley throttle linkage. the kickdown parts are at you friendly neighborhood junk yard. also hit e-bay and find an old direct connect or mopar performance chassis book. they have diagrams of the linkage set ups.

With a 440/727 in a 73 Dart my kickdown linkage had to be modified and only sort-of works. Hits the firewall. You are better off forgetting about the original one piece unit from the RV. I have seen once upon a time a 3 piece kickdown assembly with a pivot on the back of the intake that would probably work well, but I haven't seen one in years. Lokar sells a kickdown cable kit that I have been tempted to buy, and I was actually wondering myself if anyone on here has had luck with it. Anyone???

My son and I are building a BB truck and are going to try to use the 3 piece linkage we've had laying around. But if you have the money, look into either the Lokar (which a lot of people like) or do what I did and use the Bouchillon cable and linkage (works really well).

http://www.bperacing.com/trans_kickdown_cables

@ 70Duster440: I found your build 2 years ago on your website, and that has been the entire inspiration for me taking on this project. I had a 68 Ford Galaxie, and sold it when I turned 21. I used the money to buy my 71 Duster, then found your website and weeks later ripped it all apart. Now its all finally getting finished!

Anyways, thank you very much Cletus, & BobShingler, and 70Duster440. I'll definitely look into the Lokar linkage & I'll look up the holley adapter plates. Thanks again guys! I'm sure I will have more questions, but this will get me started!

I used the Lokar kickdown cable system on my BB '67 D100 when I went to an automatic and it works great. I am using an Edelbrock carb.

-
Back