440 head noise. Perpetual problems. Problem solved

-
Anyone know how to get these out? I tried the over sized socket with the hammer trick and only one side of the two part keeper thing come out and now the hammer trick isn't working. So am I destined to own a tool for this or is there another trick?

Anyone know how to get these out? I tried the over sized socket with the hammer trick and only one side of the two part keeper thing come out and now the hammer trick isn't working. So am I destined to own a tool for this or is there another trick?
there is a ''trick'' don't recommend it...take the spark plug out and feed in a rope, leave some hang out to pull it out later, hand rotate the motor till it stops, this will hold the valve in place use the hammer and socket to get the other retainer off, lift old springs off replace inner and put back together, pull out the rope and you are done...or pull the head and use spring compressor and do it that way, joejoe

overhead spring compressor?
8413817.jpg

You can get that tool Ben posted at sears, and if you used the hammer trick (ouch:D) to get the locks out, how are going to get them back in?
The rope trick was mentioned above but as long as that piston is up all the way the valve can't fall in the cylinder.
If you want to use the rope just get that cylinder coming up on the fire stroke with both valves closed, feed about 24 inches of 1/4 nylon rope into the plug hole and turn the engine till the piston presses up against the rope.
This can be used on reassembly if the valve tries to fall down to low to get the locks back in after the spring is back on.

I used a piece of an old sheet to keep locks from falling down inside the block through the pushrod openings if one slipped or popped out.

The tool Ben Drinkin suggested works great. However you need a way to hold the valve up when you remove the retainer. Either the rope trick or I use an air hose and a fabbed fitting to air up the cylinder with a compressor.

I kinda thought it was valve spring related.
My brother had that happen to him years ago.
The next question to ask yourself would be why did it happen?
Are the rest of them far behind in failing?
I'm thinking you should check for coil bind at least and/or wrong valvetrain geometry.
You need to resolve the problem or next time you might not be so lucky, a dropped valve will do a lot of damage.........

-
Back