440 purchase

-

Calipag

Reaction score
Bought this today (online auction) and pick it up tomorrow. Being new to this engine, where and what numbers should I be looking at/for to identify. I believe above the timing cover area? I've researched the intake. Once in my possession, I'll update information. I bought it without seeing it so I may have bought a boat anchor. It was worth the chance for a little adventure!

440 num.jpg

440.jpg

440-2.jpg

That is up for debate but in my opinion the ribs on the side of the block are a good thing.

Your engine looks good from the outside, it wasn't sitting in the rain. CH4B has value and it's a good unit to use if you want to. It has 1964 426 street wedge chrome valve covers, too bad they dented the pass side one, but it's to the rear so not as noticeable.

Those ribs on the side don't do anything to make it better. The cylinder walls don't get any support from those ribs.

60's blocks have forged steel cranks from factory, which is good.

The block numbers are not under the distributor, that on a 383-400. 440 they are on a pad on the left side just in front on the intake valley rail. Under the coil on your engine.

Hopefully, it looks good on the inside. From the looks of the outside there's a good chance that's a good engine. Best of luck! 65'

Any 440 Block is fine. It is an earlier block as
later ones have a thicker boss for attaching motor
mounts.

The ribs might help prevent cracking if the block is
subject to freezing weather = Otherwise not a difference!

I'll never forget the first 440 I owned. I had a plastic tray that they ship two liter soda in, and I put the pistons and rod assemblies in it.

And the pistons barely fit.

That was pretty cool.

Picked up the motor, borescoped the cylinders, they were clean and free of any rust pulled the valve covers and this is what I found. Looked under the coil mount for numbers and there is a H440 stamp and a 1 10 2. I didn't see any other numbers. I put some light oil in all the cylinders and across the valve train and I'm going to let it sit for a bit while I plug up the holes to give her a bath before trying to give her a turn.

va.jpg

valves.jpg

Old school build with the CH4B and those beefy adjustable rocker arms (the newer ones were slimmed down a bit). There's a set of TRW forged pistons in there for sure. :)

-
Back