440 Rocker Shaft is it usable?

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Good afternoon FABO! My rockershafts have light polishing wear at the arms with no pits or grooves. The thing im concerned about is the ends have what appears to be an egging or taper/crush after the last bolt holes. The main shaft dimension is about .875 but the ends measure in at .885 by.855. Whatcha all think?

Attachments

• endshaft.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 274
  • shafttrue.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 274
my first concern - have you tried to get the rocker arms onto the shafts? I would think they would go but... if they do, these should take to a polishing and be good to go.
How many foot pounds would someone have to have used to do that to them if it's not original?
Just food for thought - new ones aren't too expensive.. piece of mind is priceless.

By the looks of that 1st rocker wear pattern, I'm thinking I would look for another.

The arms slide on ok, the shims are a tighter fit on the tips of the shaft. Only the very tips have the egging- the shaft at the actual rockers is all measuring that .875 dimension. Not too sure what happened here!

Closer pic of 1st 2 rockers regarding 1st rocker wear... Open to suggestions on replacing or saving!

Attachments

• shaftfront1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 238
  • shaftfront2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 223
The end plugs may have been bleeding off some of the oil pressure to the rockers?
Shaft rockers (hydraulics) are very hard to kill though.

that egging is from too much torque on the hold down bolts. my suggestion is to purchase two of the thick wall shafts from Harlan sharp or some one else.

Are you using stock stamped rockers? If so the HS shafts are way over kill and stock replacement shafts will do just fine, just Dont over torque them. $26 each, pretty inexpensive p/n RS-612

Thanks I was just looking at those RS-612s they seem to fit my budget! It will have stock rockers and pushrods with a reasonable .480ish camshaft

Are you using the stock rocker arms? If so use those shafts, You won't find a used set that doesn't show a similar wear pattern,

Yep SGB I am hoping to keep the existing rockers... so I should just keep those shafts? They measure true .875 on all the shaft areas, just wallowed on the very outer tips after the bolt holes. I kept everything orderly to ensure the same parts go together. Trying to keep the rebuild in budget! Hard to do I'm learning haha.

-
Back