440 Roller Cam suggestions

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm slowly gathering parts for my stock-ish RB440 six pack build, and I'd like to run a stock-ish hydraulic roller cam. I want a smooth idle, and I figure stock 440+6 power is plenty for an A-body. What kind of roller cam specs will compare to the OEM .450/.458 cam? I don't mind if it's a step or maybe two steps over a stock cam, but I don't want or need a lumpy idle. Car is street-driven, and I'll use some variety of A-518 or 727 behind it. I am interested in ROLLER CAMS only.

Heads will likely be stock cast iron with some light clean up, or the Chinesium Aluminum Stealth heads from 440 Source (Ugh China).

Thanks, all you Mo'-experienced people. I don't usually build stuff like this!

Something along the lines of a Howard’s 723515-12 would meet your requirements.
The availability question could come down to whether or not they have a core(a blank) small enough to facilitate that grind.

Edit- actually……they’re in stock at summit.

Last edited:
It is REALLY easy to have a custom camshaft ground to meet your application and desires. I had Howard's make me a custom cam over the winter for my new 505 build. The specification and purchase process was easy and quick. I think it took around 10 or 11 weeks to get it after that. Just a thought - not many people realize that regular guys can order custom cams. It wasn't much more $$$ either.

Something along the lines of a Howard’s 723515-12 would meet your requirements.
The availability question could come down to whether or not they have a core(a blank) small enough to facilitate that grind.

Edit- actually……they’re in stock at summit.
Yeah that looks like a good grind. We use Gaterman lifters and I think that the Howard hyd roller lifters are sourced from Gaterman so they should be okay. OP will need to make sure his valve springs match the new camshaft.

What type of rockers are you planning on using?

-
Back