440 roller cam?

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
What all do I have to replace to change to roller? Anyone have a round about guess how much that cost? Is roller best way to go?

Depends if you can afford it. Probably better than $1000 to go roller in a big block, so Im going with a solid cam. Almost as good as a roller when it comes to rpm and h.p and far more cost effective. As long as you dont mind adjusting the rockers once in a while it's no big deal.

Tough to answer completely without knowing more about the 440 currently,
or,
what type of Roller Cam you wish to install ? hydraulic or mechanical Roller ?
Hydraulic Rollers are cheaper, but don't make that much more power than a Drag Flat Tappet ? but the Drag FT revs higher.

Generally Speaking, "assuming" you have sufficient Piston to Valve clearance for the INCREASED Roller Cam Lift ?
Then,
Roller Cam
Roller Lifters
Pushrods
Adjustable Rocker Arms/Shafts/Hold-downs
Valve Springs
Retainers & Valve Locks
Bronze Distributor Gear(or not if Hyd Roller)
Cam Thrust Button
Better Timing Cover(non tin) to hold the Thrust is a good idea.
3 Bolt Timing Chain & Gears if you don't have them already.

Machine Work to make the Springs FIT the Heads if needeed, and fit smaller positive V/seals, and SET the Spring Pressures correctly for the profile ?

Parts vary in price as per Mechanical Roller "Street", Mech Roller "Race", or Hyd Roller "Street",
But Ballpark anywheres from $1200-$1500 for the cheapest stuff, on up to $3000 PLUS if you're goin Racing and want the BEST ?
SHIAT !
I know Guys that spend over $1,000 just on their lifters ?

Doesn't sound to bad. I'm trying to see the best way to go since I am pulling motor and having it rebuilt. All I know about lover end it flat top racing pistons, forged crank and rods. Cams is the smallest cam Ive ever seen fully ported head(original), alum intake and holly double pumper in top(850??). The car will be more street

On my Indy SR headed 500 ci engine.Here's a break down on parts and money.

Comp Cam $350
T and D rockers $1269
Springs,retainers locks and lash caps $500
Lifters Comp cams $1069
Push rods Lunati $120
More head work to make getting a roller to work better.$500
Bronze gear $75

Again this is for a .700 inch lift cam and Indy SR heads.
These are prices paid.

If you go roller, I would suggest you order up a different ratio rocker arms (i.e. going from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7) this will allow you to use a smaller cam and get the same benefits as a larger one (also equals more room to play with on the cam selection). I would also suggest that which ever cam you get that you over one with a cast iron gear on it, otherwise you'll have to use a bronze gear and that means constantly tearing to motor back apart to clean the thing out (the bronze gear is more designed to work with drag racers because they are constantly going into the motor to clean it anyway).

If you are starting with a rebuild I would say you must bush the lifter bores. It adds about $500 to the block work but IMO is not optional. You do need the cam, associated support/matching parts, and the thrust button. I havent seen iron gears on big block cams. Small blocks yes. Might be available but I havent seen them.

Ok thanks for help its looking around 2g for parts and the head work thanks to 400 source and cam kit of summit =) ricers here i come!!

-
Back