440/Schumacher/Borgeson

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this install with tri y's and a 440? Just ordered my kit from Summit, and just want to know of any pitfalls.

Cannot handle the manual steering anymore, especially since I am converting to 4 speed

I have Schumacher tri Ys on my 440 and I just ordered the Borgeson manual to power steering conversion. I believe the Borgeson box is smaller than a factory manual box. I’m planning on installing it this weekend.

You will be ahead of me schedule wise, if you could let me know how it goes I would appreciate it!

I had stock power steering and tri y headers on my 440 when I bought it. Everything cleared fine.

my 74 had schumachers,power steering and a 440. The headers literally fell in.

You will be ahead of me schedule wise, if you could let me know how it goes I would appreciate it!
Got the manual box out and the new Borgeson box in. The manual box came out super easily but the Borgeson box was interfering with my motor mount. Lifted the driver side of the engine up a little and it went right in. Today I’ll be cutting and welding the steering shaft, and figuring out if my electric fans will clear new the pump pulley.

I have been researching the same steering box for my Dart with 440 4 speed Schumacher Tri Y Headers and I am using spool mounts on a original DC K frame. Craig Burris, check into Bergman Auto Craft "no cut steering coupler" No cutting of the steering shaft I like that Idea myself.
I am following this to hear how it all fits :)

After having a u joint on my manual steering box, I will never go back to a coupler type (or rag joint for the GM/Fordies) system ever again. The amount of positive feel and zero play is amazing. Also, my steering shaft is already cut for the u joint system I installed so I don't exactly have a choice ;)

I haven’t gotten around to the steering shaft yet but the pump fits nice. It has a very stout single front 3/8” bracket instead of the standard 3/16” front and rear bracket that most of the Saginaw pumps use.
The u-joint coupler on the steering shaft is the way to go in my opinion. I’ve already cut and welded a u-joint on it for the manual box, so I’ll be cutting that off and rewelding the new coupler on. Unless I can find my other steering shaft

I put a 440 in a 74 Scamp with factory power steering and TriY headers. Had to bend the hoses around a little but no problenm.

Got the Borgeson kit wrapped up today. Ended up having to pull the radiator out so I could swap crank pulleys. The instructions for the steering shaft say to drill and pin the shaft into the new coupler, but I don’t have a drill press so I just welded it on. Haven’t driven the car yet because it’s been raining all day and people seem to forget how to drive in the rain… but the steering feels quick and buttery smooth in the driveway.

I should've went with the Schumachers.
Bought the ProParts semi-fenderwell headers figuring they were better and had more flow, but have had nothing but problems installing. It's been an absolute depressing nightmare.
You're lucky you made the right choice.

I had taken out my drivers header for ease of everything, but now it will not go back in from the top as the Borgeson is of course longer. I might try from under but I need to undo the center link from pitman and tie rod again for room which I guess is no big deal.

Am I missing something obvious here? I have zero interest in lifting the engine on one side, finally sitting perfect (ok if last resort I will).

Have to do starter at some point as well, I can't remember if I was able to get starter out with header still in???

I lifted the drivers side of the engine and left the header attached. My mini starter is removable with everything else still in place.

I should've went with the Schumachers.
Bought the ProParts semi-fenderwell headers figuring they were better and had more flow, but have had nothing but problems installing. It's been an absolute depressing nightmare.
You're lucky you made the right choice.

what issues are you having installing pro partd headers? i installed a few sets back in the day and they went in easily. even did a set with power steering. plugs were a ***** but they fit.

Craig, my engine must be sitting lower than yours as I am hitting. I got the box in and it hits the ear of the engine motor mount, I clearenced it a bit but now the schumacher is hitting the box in one spot.

My engine seems to be at the top of range on the k member slot so not sure I can get a shim in there between the K member and bottom biscuit.

Can it be shimmed between the top of the biscuit and the actual motor mount?

My motor mount has been cut in half and also smashed. It’s shimmed on both sides and I have minimal clearance between everything. I don’t think it hits anywhere though.
I have a QA1 K btw
IMG_8063.jpeg

Craig, my engine must be sitting lower than yours as I am hitting. I got the box in and it hits the ear of the engine motor mount, I clearenced it a bit but now the schumacher is hitting the box in one spot.

My engine seems to be at the top of range on the k member slot so not sure I can get a shim in there between the K member and bottom biscuit.

Can it be shimmed between the top of the biscuit and the actual motor mount?
yes you can add shims both sides of the biscuit if needed.

Well clear is clear, but this is too close lol… I’ll shim a touch more

IMG_2967.jpeg

Do the pickups use a biscuit mount similar to the a body but thicker? May be able to use that mount with less shims? Or maybe non at all.
Or can a offset plate/ shim be bolted to the K so the mount can sit vertical?

If the pickup biscuit is thicker it would for sure change the amount of shims, but not sure if the studs are oriented the same. I had zero shims before so I am just feeling my way into this now that I am changing to power Borgeson. I have zero intention of changing the actual mount, there is so much in the way on the drivers side and I can't even figure out how I tightened the bottom biscuit bolt to the K frame last year, I can see the nut but no way of getting a socket or wrench, need to think back what I did lol

Think it was a pickup mount. Some application has a mount similar to the a body but a little thicker. Not sure of the bolt spread?
Is there room to make like a 1/4" square plate that bolts to the K with another set of holes to set the mount up and down?
It looks like your mount goes forward and back.
Would that concept help?

-
Back