440 series 26 mallory duel points dis...points issue

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
it seems the only one set of my points alway has a burnt spot on them that I have to file...I can tell when it start to pop through the exhaust... I file it a little runs great any ideas... thanks

First point closes the circuit to charge coil. The current is near zero for lower RPM, no "make" spark. It gets little wear. The other point carries the current after first point, but opening "break", it creates the spark, that is when erosion occurs. The condenser helps avoid arcing.
Might be the condenser. Have you changed it? Might also be return spring lost tension, needs lubrication, both could result in chatter or bounce, making more sparks and erosion. Any of the problems also reduce spark energy to plugs.

Also better quality points are vented, the peak, fits in the vent hole. Not sure what dual points used.

When I used points in the late 60's 10k miles, was past the optimal point.

Last edited:
First point closes the circuit to charge coil. The current is near zero for lower RPM, no "make" spark. It gets little wear. The other point carries the current after first point, but opening "break", it creates the spark, that is when erosion occurs. The condenser helps avoid arcing.
Might be the condenser. Have you changed it? Might also be return spring lost tension, needs lubrication, both could result in chatter or bounce, making more sparks and erosion. Any of the problems also reduce spark energy to plugs.

Also better quality points are vented, the peak, fits in the vent hole. Not sure what dual points used.

When I used points in the late 60's 10k miles, was past the optimal point

I like what yellow rose said.

On the points at jegs, one has 28 oz spring, the other 48 oz. I would think the 48 oz could load the top hat enough to retard timing rate. The uni-light is optical, so no loading, the advance rate may increase. They do not provide detailed info to make an intelligent choice, likely an msd marketing strategy.

I would base line RPM, vs timing before and after, then make advance changes if necessary.

When I used points in the late 60's 10k miles, was past the optimal point.
vented points?

I like what yellow rose said.

On the points at jegs, one has 28 oz spring, the other 48 oz. I would think the 48 oz could load the top hat enough to retard timing rate. The uni-light is optical, so no loading, the advance rate may increase. They do not provide detailed info to make an intelligent choice, likely an msd marketing strategy.

I would base line RPM, vs timing before and after, then make advance changes if necessary.
going with new cond, and points still not sure which ones...

-
Back