440 timing

-

KAMSGTS440

Banned
Reaction score
When I had this engine put together 4 or 5 years ago it ran like a stripped a**-ape it has 11.5 to 1 trw pistons 6 pack crank hemi purple stripe cam Chrysler M-1 intake a holley 850 pouble pumper and a stock chrysler electronic ignition....no vacuum advance straight mechanical advance...when it was first set up I was told that this particular set up needed no vacuum advance ...well in trying to troubleshoot an ignition problem (simple wiring duh!!!) :violent1: the distributor was changed and my helper (a chevy guy :wack:) cranked on the distributor :eek:ops: (mistake of course:violent1:) and now I don't have the correct timing for it....
does anyone know what the degree of timing I am supposed to have set for this particular application?!?!

When I had this engine put together 4 or 5 years ago it ran like a stripped a**-ape it has 11.5 to 1 trw pistons 6 pack crank hemi purple stripe cam Chrysler M-1 intake a holley 850 pouble pumper and a stock chrysler electronic ignition....no vacuum advance straight mechanical advance...when it was first set up I was told that this particular set up needed no vacuum advance ...well in trying to troubleshoot an ignition problem (simple wiring duh!!!) :violent1: the distributor was changed and my helper (a chevy guy :wack:) cranked on the distributor :eek:ops: (mistake of course:violent1:) and now I don't have the correct timing for it....
does anyone know what the degree of timing I am supposed to have set for this particular application?!?!

First thing is you need a timing light that has a dial on it, or a timing tape on your harmonic balancer. Take your RPMs up to at least 2800-3000. Hold the RPMs there. Set you timing at 36-38 degrees which will be full mechanical advance. You will have to play with the timing to make sure which setting works good on your engine combination. Some motors do not run as well at 38 degrees and some do.

(1) set the initial with the "vac gauge method" (& likely it will be ~15-18). (2) shorten the slots so you get 36 total (initial+slots) (3) mix & match springs so you are just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest (most likely to ping) day (4) plug in/adj the vac can & adj it with a 3/32" allen wrench (CCW makes the can come in slower) till (4A) you are just under the pinging point on your hottest/driest day in varying driving conditions (stop/go/around town etc) & (4B) on the interstate cruise (high vacuum) at an RPM at or above the RPM where the springs are maxed out if it pings then solder strips of feeler gauge of the thickness needed on the vac can back side to in effect shorten the "notch" which limits the arm travel into the can. Do these IN ORDER but do (4B) before (4A) (didn't wanna retype!). alot of work to get em spot on but there's a ton of gain to be had & your opponent might not be so dedicated or meticulous

-
Back