442 ci. Stroker

-

junior

Reaction score
Hey all has been a while since I have posted but I am feeling better and getting through my divorce and the itch is back. My son hurt the 408 so now he wants to build a new engine so i suggested building a 4 1/4 inch stroker based on a .030 340 which i'm told gives you 442 ci. I have been doing some research and not finding much info as to suppliers of the crank rods and pistons. So any help anyone has to offer will help alot.Open to hear all your thoughts pro and con.
Thanks Larry

Welcome back junior,glad to hear things are O.K.Question?Did you have the 408 built or buy already done and in a car?I have a .040 over 408(410ci)and have had very good luck with it(crosses fingers)I have over 180 passes on it(1/4 mile)and some very limited street driving miles.I,m with Riddler about using a 360 block.JMO.:D

if he hurt the 4 inch stroke why the heck would you trust him with a 4 1/4 stroke.....get that boy a built 340 that he can rev to 7,500 and set the rev limiter at 7,000

Can you tell us how he hurt it? I am curious to know. Does it have a rev limiter in it? I had mine set to 6800 RPM and it would get there in a Hurry, missed a couple 1-2 shifts "4spd" and it came in handy! Never hit it otherwise. Once I got it in gear it was like it never missed a beat. Damn thing ran Good!

Yea guys engine came in the car we bought and the dweeb that built it used cheap assed cast eagle external balanced crank and used internal balancer and flex plate so it shook the mains out of itself.
Now we want to build a big cube LA and put some BIG heads on top. We have a few 340's and no 360's so 340 it is.
We are going to put a new steel crank in the 408 and either put it in my Dart or sell it to help pay for the big guy.
No one answered my question has no one here built one of these yet. Our builder says we can make 650hp on pump gas and parts are almost the same as building a fresh 408. He also say that the smaller main journals are better on the 340 crank. What do you guys think.
Larry

the smaller mains are better. balancing and quality parts are a must

i'm not sure if the block will hold up for a long time with 650 hp, maybe if you don't use the full 650 often

dumb question, why not build a bbm if you are looking for 650 hp or more? yeah it will cost more if you don't have a good bbm block, heads, intake, headers but it won't break as easy and you won't have to squeeze the last bit of hp out of it

Why not send a PM to Brian at IMM engines, he has plenty of knowledge, I am wondering why he has not chimed in yet??? ou812 on here.

dumb question, why not build a bbm if you are looking for 650 hp or more? yeah it will cost more if you don't have a good bbm block, heads, intake, headers but it won't break as easy and you won't have to squeeze the last bit of hp out of it

True enough.If your looking for a budget motor that will last at the 650 h.p level ,I'd suggest building a 400 based 451. Heck an iron headed one with manifolds will make 550 h.p. It's childsplay to build a 650 h.p 451 using alum heads an headers.

I am really not sure how long the small block will survive at 650. Of course you could always turbo charge it....that will get you MORE h.p than you want..

650hp from a stock production small block... best of luck with that lasting long. it will kill the block in short time no matter what band aids ($$$) you put on it.

You want 650hp, sell the stuff and buy an R block.

650 from a SB on pump gas is going to be one nasty critter. :D

JMO

650hp from a stock production small block... best of luck with that lasting long. it will kill the block in short time no matter what band aids ($$$) you put on it.

You want 650hp, sell the stuff and buy an R block.

650 from a SB on pump gas is going to be one nasty critter. :D

JMO

True enough. Thats why I suggested a turbo..or a big block!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-128845.html

BPE selling the rotating you are looking for

for the 650 hp limit for OE block I dont mind
mine is pushing really close to 600 and it will
be hit by nitrous next summer

I saw R block split with less 600 and
OE block survive with more than 600

sonic test the block
have the rotating balance by the best shop
dont swing it to high for nothing(burnout and donuts)

like you saw on your son's car vibration is your enemy
and engine well built,well balance will last
maybe not as much as an R block but will do the job

my .02 cents

Mike at MRL just built me a fricking nasty small block putting out over 650 hp.
And we used a factory block.

Thanks guys now we are talking, lots of good info please keep it coming. our 408 block was epoxy filled for strength but that took the streetability out of it as it would run hot on the street really sucked for cruise night, it also had 4 bolt mains installed. New engine will have 4 bolt or a girdle but no epoxy. We do go to the track a few times a summer but must be able to go street

Don't waste you money on a SB girdle...

I would say use it, but not with factory caps. Get some billet ones like Mike makes at MRL. They have a nice big flat side that is the whole width of the cap. Massive contact area for a girdle to bolt up against. Factory caps dont have enough contact area, looks weaker, not sure if it is or not. And for $175 on a $10-15K build, might as well use one, my theory is it won't hurt and might help. My build is a 416 (340) practically identical to Wireweld minus the fuel injection, hoping for close to 600HP on a stock block. Won't see more then a few passes, mostly city cruising miles, I think it will hold up fine. Fingers crossed.

One thing I would add is that that the HP you want is acheivable with a 340 with a 4" stroke, why bother with all the extra work of making a longer stroke fit? Although saying you have a 440 under the hood, then letting people have a look and watching their expressions would be cool.

Good luck with your build, whatever you decide to do!!

A local guy built a 465. IIRC it cost $25k and runs 10.0. It runs on the street too. Its' probably been at least 5 years since I spoke with him so my memory is fuzzy. Again, IIRC, 4 5/16" stroke, R3 block and lots of custom parts.

A local guy built a 465. IIRC it cost $25k and runs 10.0. It runs on the street too. Its' probably been at least 5 years since I spoke with him so my memory is fuzzy. Again, IIRC, 4 5/16" stroke, R3 block and lots of custom parts.

That is crazy. You can get close to the same results with a non exotic build for less than half the price! Dusterdoug is a prime example of of this. 10.30 ish times. .30 of a second is not worth and extra 16K in my book. You could get there cheaper and easier and pass that .30 with a 200 shot of NOS.

With that much HP on a stock block, I'd say any little bit helps. I'd love to have used an R block, but with 5 kids, I just don't have money, so I just have to cross my fingers, hope stuff doesn't break, and go with what I can afford and have fun with it instead of having a pile of nice parts in my garage that I can't afford to finish. That being said, here is my 2 cents.

My 422 has a main girdle and main studs. The guy who had it before me ran 9.90s with it, and it looks great. I purchased it from him, checked it all out, and I'm happy with how everything looks. He said before he installed the girdle, even with studs that at that much HP he would get cap walk. The girdle seemed to always help that. He ran an all steel Dart, so it wasn't real light, he was making some serious HP. He never had a problem with the rest of the block on this or any other sb's he built, so he spent a little extra on this one with bushed bores, oiling mods, etc. The block isn't filled, and its completely streetable. I'm tuning it down a little, with home-ported edelbrocks, smaller solid roller, etc, but it should still be fun. I was going with Indy heads, but I don't have the money to finish the engine like that and I honestly just don't need that kind of HP, I only go to the track 1-2 times a year. My 2 cents, if it helps!

Although, I'd feel much more comfortable with some nice beefy aftermarket caps...

Been a while and a lot has changed since i started this thread. my son and i took into consideration the wealth of knowledge from you all and decided to build a 416 instead... it will have 4 bolt mains callie crank sorry about spelling h beam rods, JE 9.5.1 pistons with hell fire rings so if he wants that big HP it will take a shot. have not decided on which heads yet but they will be big. any suggestions on heads more than welcome. we have repaired the 408 eagle engine and it is for sale to help pay for the heads. no cam choice yet builder says it will depend on which heads we use. What do you all think... Let me hear it

Not to hi-jack, but glad to see you're back junior. Did you guys get the car painted yet? If so how does it look?

I haven't had time to do anything with the clutchflite yet. Gonna try the Demon at the track with the 4-speed next summer and then maybe drop the clutchflite in it after that.

Wylde1.

-
Back