4500 Series carb has idling problem

-

Demon499

Reaction score
Good afternoon.
I was tuning my car today and it does not to want to idle below 900 rpm. This is with the idle adjuster screw all the way out. When I looked down into the carb all 4 butterfly's seem to be closed.
Thanks....................Ted

Is it cold? Until summer air - my 66 runs like junk until it is fully warmed up and had been running for 45 mins or so.
Winter fuel also has less let’s say “incentive” on these let say, “carburated” engines

Is this something you've always dealt with or has it just started?

While running I always run a long screwdriver down the carb and tap on the butterflies to see if they are really seated.

Replace the power valve on the primaries. Probably shot from a backfire due to timing or a vacuum leak. Or it could have backfired from a lean condition with no choke when cold.

Which Dominator(4500) carb and how new is it?
A lot of the newer Dominators have air valves in them around the center were the air cleaner stud is. The valve could be open to far letting too much air to bleed through, in other words a large vacuum leak.
On my older Dominator, I had to drill and tap holes in that area for air bleed jets so I could turn the idle screw down enough to close up the transition slot and get back to the idle circuit.

-
Back