451 and the Racetrack

-

moparspares

Reaction score
My brother raced his 451 on the weekend and I want to share what it did and get some thoughts.

It is in an E body and on the weekend we raced it. It ran 11.70 at 115MPH however it was on the limiter 200 ft from the finish line. It also has traction issues because it only ran a 1.7 60 ft and it was just smoking the tyres. This 400 was stroked using a 440 Source stroker kit. It uses a High Energy Cam 285 241/247 @50 and a 1050 dominator. It runs 28 inch slicks and only runs 3.23 gears and a 3000 stall. This thing revs really hard and fast.

We are going to try 31 inch slicks to get the mile an hour up and he is in the process of installing cal tracs. He did advance the cam a little when he built it but Im not sure how much. Im thinking his cam is to far advanced. Thoughts?

Something here doesn't sound right to me. 3:23 with a 28" tire gives you like a 3:10 ratio and hitting the rev limitor at 115 mph. Just sounds off to me. What's the limiter set at? Also spinning off the line, once corrected for better traction, will probably have it hitting the rev limiter sooner. Engine should only be turning about 4500 rpm with the numbers you posted. Am I missing something? I'm assuming it's a 727 transmission. If your limiter is set at 6500 it sounds like your not getting third gear.

Something here doesn't sound right to me. 3:23 with a 28" tire gives you like a 3:10 ratio and hitting the rev limitor at 115 mph. Just sounds off to me. What's the limiter set at? Also spinning off the line, once corrected for better traction, will probably have it hitting the rev limiter sooner. Engine should only be turning about 4500 rpm with the numbers you posted. Am I missing something? I'm assuming it's a 727 transmission. If your limiter is set at 6500 it sounds like your not getting third gear.

Limiter set at 6000 and yes a 727. I asked my brother if he was getting 3rd gear after the run and he assured me he was.

If he is getting third gear, on line calculators show the combination should give you about 150 mph at that rpm with the tires and gears. Is the torque converter good? Something else is going on with the car in my opinion. There's something in the driveline that's not doing what it should. Transmission in good shape? Just throwing out thoughts. As I stated in my first post calculating with the numbers it really seems like no third gear. That's the first I would verify. I know you stated he said yes but it can't hurt to be sure before doing anything else.

-
Back