470 vs. 512

-

Aves

Reaction score
I just received engine I got from a guy on e-bay. So I am stuck with a 400 big block boat anchor or an exspense core depending on how ya wanna look at it. So was looking at gathering parts and was curious if there is much of a difference between build of the two strokes?
The car well be mostly a weekend cruiser and see it fair share of track time. If it helps looking for around 600 hp with a possible chance motor will either get sprayed(175 shot) or a small amouont of boost later on. Motor will be run on e-85 and looking around a mild 10.5/1 compression with some Victor heads.

Troy

I'm no fan of going larger than a 3.915 stroke (470) in the B wedge. Pistons just get too short for my taste in the 505. I think you will want more compression too but E-85 is not my specialty. If you plan to boost or spray you will need to take some extra precautions and spend a little for it. I'd also recommend Indys vs Victors but again, that's just me.

Stay with the 400 and stroke it....440 Source has the best all around stroker kits for the 400 at the best bang for the buck...but saying that...have their rotatating assembly balanced buy a professional machine shop...just because they stay it's balanced already don't believe it....the 400 will fit so much better in an A body...8)

There seems to be a trend in building the once lowly 400 into screamers. The geometry of the engine apparently leads to big HP gains. One of the Mopar mags built one about a year ago and it looked very good.

Wow been long time since I was here. Ended up going with the 472ci build but upped compresstion to slightly more then 12/1. Victor heads and a slightly bigger cam( .270/.274 dur @.050 .689" lift solid roller). Engine making somewhere around 700 or so didn't have time to dyno it.

Best run to date was a [email protected]. Working a slight overheating issure right now but car is alot of fun thats for sure.
launch26-18.jpg

Troy

-
Back