48 degree r3 block

-
What happened to all the replies that were in this post earlier?

I thought the R3's had ceased production?

RPAGAN had a R3 short block for sale at Garlits. He may have a bare block I am not sure.

On eBay right now there are a couple brand new R3 48* blocks in NY. Under $2k!!! One is a bit of a "difficult" one and has the SBF main bearings, he also has an unmachined Mopar crank, obviously it won't take long for the machine bill to pile up

I thought the R3's had ceased production?

Correct and there are none left at Mopar period! Not even crammed away in a warehouse. MRL is right that Jegs lists one but try and buy it..... ever see a dog run into a wall?

MRL is right that Jegs lists one but try and buy it..... ever see a dog run into a wall?

Lol! Great analogy! From my inquiry on the Ford mains you'll end up with a very short stroke. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a complete W8 engine utilizing this block and its 360 cid.

Lol! Great analogy! From my inquiry on the Ford mains you'll end up with a very short stroke. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a complete W8 engine utilizing this block and its 360 cid.

Let me guess.... short deck 3.31 stroke 4.185 bore craftsman truck motor? 598 intake, dry sump... did I win a prize? Lol

It's been haunting me for two years now.... I'm finding it to hard to let it just sit there!

Call any of those places and they'll try and order from Mopar.... who doesn't have any in depot or dealer inventory.

hmm.... guess were not posting picts from photobucket for some reason. sheet started at 6200 rpm torque was at 491 to 510 at 7400 before it started to tail off. HP was 580 and peaked at 764 @ 8000. There was also another pull they did with different headers and 2 degrees more timing (37-38) and it peaked at 750.

Very nice!! I don't think I have quite that much power but that's why I still have a bottle haha

so speaking of R3 blocks, we've all seen the unavailable one on Ebay that Jegs keeps advertising (you can call them if you want.....they don't have any, but they can "order" you one! :) ), but what about the one that states this in the ad: (even though it is a 59* 340 replacement style block)

"This block was attempted to be machined to use retro fit roller lifters but we quickly found that wasn't possible and cut a hole in the lifter galley into the water jacket. We had to use retro fit lifters so we ordered a 49 degree block in place of this one."

They say the "epoxied" the boo boo with "Devcon" and it held psi. Well that's great, but how about after it's been exposed to numerous heat cycles and oil..... Guess I wouldn't be to comfortable with it, but maybe thats from my W5 heads that had been "repaired" using epoxy that failed miserably after 150 passes.

So I've found a block with all the machine work done and ready to assemble but the guy will only sell it as a package with crank,rods,pistons and heads. How hard will it be to sell w8 heads and mopar 4" crank

What heads, are they complete or bare? Raw castings or ported? I know that a set of newer raw castings sold near me for $500, and the same guy has a ported set that he wants $1500 for, but from me asking around, that may be on the high side.

they are bare w8 heads not sure if they have any port work done or not, waiting for more info on them

It's a bit of a narrow market. Not too many SBM guys are willing to take it to this level. I've got fully ported W9 heads and intake for sale at a price I'm losing money and still not a ton of interest. Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

What's the plan?

-
Back