5.9 AKA 360

-

Hippy1966

Reaction score
Hoping someone here can help--I have a 2003 Durango with the 5.9 and would like to do a few minor mods thinking Headers TRU Dual Exhaust and a Throttle body upgrade I already have a Cold Air unit and bigger injectors

I know this is a A-Body forum BUTT the Durango guys seem toooo busy with the Hemi's

Thanx

Jim

I’ve been looking at upgrading my 02 Ram 2500 with Mag 5.9. Things I’m going to do are.

TB upgrade and “Kegger” mod
Hughes plunimn gasket mod
Reflash PCM to over ride the “death flash”
Jegs “Y” pipe with Cat delete and/or full duals.
Crank Trigger Mod.

Just these few things will help wake it up some. If and when the day comes for a rebuild, might up compression and cam swap, but I tow with this so not making a hot rod.

Also, check out
DodgeForum.com

2nd gen Ram page /

Dodge Durango - DodgeForum.com

oh no fell for the cold air kit :lol: (the only gains you see are from less air restriction NOT air temp) all fuel injection engines use some sort of mass/density /temp /oxygen sensors and the fuel/timing is based on what the air stream property's are...

a flashed pcm or tuner control mod /throttle body/injectors/fuel pump/ exhaust and a good tuner laptop/dyno is what you need to adjust air/ fuel ratio/timing/injector pulse width (remember its a small viper engine):thumbsup: your going to have to reprogram the trans pcm also.. IF auto..

Last edited:
I put on better heads/springs, short c.a.r.b headers, Taylor thottle body spacer , magnaflow cat and dynomax ultra flow.

I think it runs a little lean now. Pulls into 5500 rpm, comes alive at 2800 rpm with w.o.t.. but also snaps great off the line with 1/4-1/2 throttle. Doesn't seem to have enough fuel at passing speeds 70-85mph.....it will climb rpm fast at part throttle. Need to look at a plug to verify, but I think injectors or air temp sense or somethings out of tune. The heads are 50cfm over stock, the intake port matched and steel mahl plenum gasket used to avoid blowouts and oil sucking. Stock air filter box with K&N filter. I'd like to do the throttle body..but it needs more fuel first.
Mileage is the same pretty much.

The mods I did for my 97 dakota 5.2L really woke it up. I assume you would see the same if not greater gains on the 5.9L
Ported TB
14x3 open element
Crower 1.7 roller rockers
Ported heads
M1 intake
R/T cam 204/208 @ .050"
Edelbrock headers into a high flow cat and flowmaster delta 50 muffler
Hypertech programmer
Made 247 rwhp 265 rwtq. I imagine the 5.9 with the kegger would increase the tq significantly.

-
Back