5.9 magnum flywheel for factory MPFI

-

fueliedart

Reaction score
I am trying to find out if anyone knows of a Magnum 5.9 flywheel that is available with the tone wheel already on it to trigger the factory MPFI. From what I have seen, American Powertrain used to have one available with the trigger wheel on it but it is no longer available. I was wondering if someone has maybe taken an 11 inch clutch flywheel ( 143 tooth ) and had it machined down to accept a 130 tooth ring gear. I suppose you would also have to redrill it to accept a 10 1/2 pressure plate bolt pattern but I would rather skip all that if anyone knows of an off the shelf flywheel that is available somewhere. If there is no ready made flywheel then I would like to hear of how if anybody else has had to overcome this problem what they did to make a factory EFI setup work behind a 4 speed.

AP still had the flywheels last year; they've never been in the online catalog, you have to call them up to order it. 931-646-4836

Yeah I looked and didn't see them. Thank you for the info I will give them a call.

Here's another option:

Mopar 5.2L Billet Steel Flywheel/ 130 tooth

Says 93-95, but I don't think that is right. The only reason I can think of that is the '93-95 5.9 had a weight on the torque converter making them specific. And then in '96 the weight shifted to the flexplate. So MD might have thought the imbalance changed in '96 or something. Either, I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work for all 5.9 Magnums.

AP part# is FWCH-10004CS if that helps. It's their FWCH-10004 flywheel with notches added.

Probably going to be much cheaper than the MD one I posted above.

You could also, forget about the flex plate, and use a dual synch distributor to trigger your EFI.

You could also, forget about the flex plate, and use a dual synch distributor to trigger your EFI.
So do you think the dual synch would work with the factory EFI ok? What brand and do you have a part #?

AP part# is FWCH-10004CS if that helps. It's their FWCH-10004 flywheel with notches added.

Probably going to be much cheaper than the MD one I posted above.
The AP flywheel does not show up when you search the part # on their web site. I am now thinking a dual synch distributor might be the way to go if it will work with the stock injection system. If anyone has tried the DS distributor and can guide me down that road ,I really like that idea. If not it looks like the Mopar billet flywheel is the other alternative. Thanks for all the info.

So, I just left an email with American Powertrain tech support about flywheel availability and hopefully will have an answer sometime tomorrow.

The AP flywheel does not show up when you search the part # on their web site.

So, I just left an email with American Powertrain tech support about flywheel availability and hopefully will have an answer sometime tomorrow.

That's what Professor Fate was saying. They don't list them on the website, you have to call them. I was only listing the P/N in case it helped, not because you could then find it on their website.

I did some searching and didn't find anyone using a dual sync distributor for the stock EFI. Maybe @jbc426 has more info?

I looked at a dual sync distributor years ago and ran across one from FAST that looked like it might work but it was just a maybe. Looks like FAST is gone and not sure if the Holley one is the same one or not. I do know it will need to use a hall effect sensor for both, not sure what the Holley uses.

FYI, Mopar looked at marketing a dual sync for their EFI swap offerings but it didn't get past a mention in the catalog. I ended up talking to an engineer who has some knowledge about them and he said they required some custom tuning tools to get the distributor setup correctly and so they dropped it.

The only other possibility I can think of is to build a crank pickup on the front of the motor. That's what I did, but never used it so no idea if would have worked.

Either way, moving the pickup to the front of the motor removes the issue with having to buy a special flywheel or figure out how to make a dual sync distributor work. But it's not without it's problems as well.

Personally, unless you go to a Terminator X setup, I would just buy the flywheel.

I did some searching and didn't find anyone using a dual sync distributor for the stock EFI. Maybe @jbc426 has more info?

I looked at a dual sync distributor years ago and ran across one from FAST that looked like it might work but it was just a maybe. Looks like FAST is gone and not sure if the Holley one is the same one or not. I do know it will need to use a hall effect sensor for both, not sure what the Holley uses.

FYI, Mopar looked at marketing a dual sync for their EFI swap offerings but it didn't get past a mention in the catalog. I ended up talking to an engineer who has some knowledge about them and he said they required some custom tuning tools to get the distributor setup correctly and so they dropped it.
I'm going through a similar situation, and the dual sync is plug and play with the Holley Terminaor X Max with CNP ignition I'm running this time.

I assumed the signal it puts out via Hall Effect Sensors could be used instead of the factory crank position sensor. I didn't look at the wiring diagram for the factory EFI. There are only one or two wired coming from the crank sensor.

Who are you going to have tune your factory jtek ECM?

I contacted American Powertrain support ( Drew Wilkinson) and have received a response. They gave me a quote of $409 (plus shipping and tax) for a billet 6 bolt 10 1/2 inch flywheel for a 5.9 with the crank trigger wheel. I will be ordering one this week. He did not supply a part # in the quote but I assume it is the same as the original since I did refence that # in my inquiry. Hopefully this will help anyone else who is in the same dilemma. I do have a flywheel for a 5.2 in my garage that I had a local machine shop mill down to accept a crank trigger wheel but never used because I decided to run the 5.9 instead.

I'm going through a similar situation, and the dual sync is plug and play with the Holley Terminaor X Max with CNP ignition I'm running this time.

I assumed the signal it puts out via Hall Effect Sensors could be used instead of the factory crank position sensor. I didn't look at the wiring diagram for the factory EFI. There are only one or two wired coming from the crank sensor.

Who are you going to have tune your factory jtek ECM?
I was going to run an old Mopar Perf. ECM ( I don't have the part# handy) that I bought years ago. It is OBD1 so it probably would work for what I want but I don't know yet. I figured I could carry the stock 5.9 computer as a backup just in case. If I am not happy with the performance I can always upgrade to OBD2 and then I would maybe have to find someone to tune it. It won't be a race car, I'm mostly looking for a cruiser with good performance.

The only other possibility I can think of is to build a crank pickup on the front of the motor. That's what I did, but never used it so no idea if would have worked.

Either way, moving the pickup to the front of the motor removes the issue with having to buy a special flywheel or figure out how to make a dual sync distributor work. But it's not without it's problems as well.

Personally, unless you go to a Terminator X setup, I would just buy the flywheel.
Got a quote and am going with a flywheel from AP. I definitely appreciate all the input.

I was going to run an old Mopar Perf. ECM ( I don't have the part# handy) that I bought years ago. It is OBD1 so it probably would work for what I want but I don't know yet. I figured I could carry the stock 5.9 computer as a backup just in case. If I am not happy with the performance I can always upgrade to OBD2 and then I would maybe have to find someone to tune it. It won't be a race car, I'm mostly looking for a cruiser with good performance.
Why not run OBDII out of the gate?

Why not run OBDII out of the gate?
Because I have harnesses for OBD1 already and computers ready to go. My actual thoughts are to maybe jump into 3rd gen Hemi's rather than even upgrading to OBD2 if I will have to have tuning done anyway.

Dead dodge garage shows how he made his.

Yeah I watched that video but was a little leary of how much register that process left for the flywheel to hang onto. I basically did the same process years ago to a 5.2 flywheel. I had a machine shop mill the back of a flywheel like he did for an interference fit of the trigger wheel. I used a Magnum flex plate to clock the notches to their correct position and installed it. Of course now I have decided to run a 5.9 so the 5.2 flywheel will not work. American Powertrain has 5.9 flywheels with the triggerwheel available but you have to contact them and ask.

Yeah I watched that video but was a little leary of how much register that process left for the flywheel to hang onto. I basically did the same process years ago to a 5.2 flywheel. I had a machine shop mill the back of a flywheel like he did for an interference fit of the trigger wheel. I used a Magnum flex plate to clock the notches to their correct position and installed it. Of course now I have decided to run a 5.9 so the 5.2 flywheel will not work. American Powertrain has 5.9 flywheels with the triggerwheel available but you have to contact them and ask.

The '96+ 5.9 flexplate has the balance weight on it. If I am understanding you correctly, you could locate the later flexplate and use your 5.2 flywheel then.

The '96+ 5.9 flexplate has the balance weight on it. If I am understanding you correctly, you could locate the later flexplate and use your 5.2 flywheel then.
Basically you are correct but I really don't want to move the flywheel further to the end of the register. If i could do it again I probably would have taken a 5.9 flywheel an had the
outer circumference milled down to accept the 130 tooth ring a had it redrilled and tapped for the 10.5 clutch.

-
Back